EJR Beads

Author Topic: We all start somewhere  (Read 4348 times)

CraftyDad

We all start somewhere
« on: January 21, 2017, 11:25:57 AM »
So as the subject says, I had to start somewhere. I made a simple cane, mixed a couple of colours and had a play. Its the first time I've used polymer clay so it was all about learning how to use it and what can be done. I quite like the result, the pattern is very retro!

Next I wanted to see what it is like to build with so I cut some simple shapes and went for it

CraftyDad

Re: We all start somewhere
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »
OOps........pictures this time hopefully!

jackster

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »
Hi, I am just starting out too in this amazing hobby.
Very promising start you have made, look forward to seeing your progress  :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 08:06:27 PM »
You've been having fun, I can tell!  I like that you've tried several different ideas out....and is that actually a bowl I can see?   8)

CraftyDad

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 11:27:22 PM »
Hi Jackster, it is an amazing hobby and I hope your having as much fun with it as I am.

Hello Carrie, it is a bowl you can see. I actually made the flower pattern into a bowl first so the black one is the second bowl I made. I am working on canes at the moment that I plan to use to make a vase. I want to try and make a range of vessels from sliced canes and yes, I'm having fun :D

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 11:33:41 PM »
Oh yes - l can see now that the red one is a bowl-in-progress.....that's going to be really striking!

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »
A fantastic start indeed! Great pieces!

And what you have done really well at is getting a great contrast between your colours in terms of how light and dark they are. This is quite the secret to good canework, especially as you start to reduce canes down to smaller and smaller diameters.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MilleD

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
Great start.

Sometimes 'going for it' is the best way to get started.  I know that I can over think things sometimes and end up doing nothing.  Just throwing yourself is sometimes far more productive as you've shown :)

MilleD

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »
And to add, taking photos of all your work whether you are pleased with it or not is essential so you can look back at how far you've come.

Case in point - my first polymer clay attempt (which I hate and has now been hidden in the bottom of a box somewhere):

My very first polymer clay bracelet by Claire Oswald, on Flickr

And a more recent attempt:

Polymer Clay Bangle by Claire Oswald, on Flickr

So yes, everyone has to start somewhere :)  And lovely thing is that there is ALWAYS more to learn.

CraftyDad

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »
Hi Emma and Claire and thanks for the comments. Like you say Claire, I will take lots of photos as a reminder whether I like it or not. It is good to be able to look back at where you started and compare with what you are currently doing. I have been working on a Union Jack cane today, it took 4 hours and I had to keep my concentration so I didn't mess it up! I can't work out how to get the photos onto here from my iPad so I will post them tomorrow from work. In the meantime you can view the photos on my Facebook page if you want, I had lots of fun making it :D

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 10:03:51 PM »
I always think you need to just throw yourself into polymer clay with gusto. It isn't that expensive - just treat yourself to a block or two and totally trash it, waste it - just utterly muck around with it and see what happens.

I've had a LOT of customers over the years buy clay and then sit looking at the packets for months and months, terrified to open it and start. I always tell them - what does it matter if you make something pants, just get the packs open and play. You'll probably make something wonderful anyway and surprise yourself.

For those who do worry about "getting it wrong" (whatever that is) A general rule with polymer clay is - if you don't like the look of it before baking, you probably won't after - so don't bake it, squish it up and make something else.

The exception to this is any clay that has a lot of translucency to it - so like translucent colours themselves or ones with a predominantly translucent base like the darker colours in the Cernit new Shiny range. Translucent clays always look murkey and yucky before baking

Which brings me on to another rookie rite of passage - don't mistake white for translucent clay in cane building and use the wrong one by mistake. we've all been there

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

CraftyDad

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
Some pics of what I was working on yesterday, the Union Jack took about 4 hours and the marbled canes were made from the scraps

hope you like

MilleD

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 07:55:22 AM »

Which brings me on to another rookie rite of passage - don't mistake white for translucent clay in cane building and use the wrong one by mistake. we've all been there

Emma

Or that pesky 50% opaque Cernit that caught me out :)

CraftyDad

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
I've used a pale flesh tone instead of white, in the photo it looks like opaque or translucent? I guess I will find out at some point if I fell in the trap  :-\

MilleD

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »
By way of example, here's what happens when you get it wrong :)

http://www.polyclay.co.uk/index.php/topic,2434.0.html