EJR Beads

Author Topic: Hello from Burnley  (Read 2259 times)

CraftyDad

Hello from Burnley
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:42:11 PM »
Hello everybody, I'm Anthony and I am a newbie to the forum and polymer clay. I have been creative for as long as I can remember, drawing, painting and making things. I studied ceramics at uni and worked for a while as a studio potter. I hope to combine my pottery skills and creativity with this new medium that I recently discovered. I look forward to showing you all my creations and sharing my journey with you. I have made a couple of experimental pieces which taught me loads about using polymer but I'm sure I have lots to learn yet!

Beadbug

Re: Hello from Burnley
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
Hi Anthony, welcome to the forum there's lots of friendly folks here! There's tons of info in the older posts that are worth looking at, so happy hunting and let's see what you make.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 11:25:30 PM »
Hello Anthony  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »
Welcome to the forum Anthony

As mentioned, you will find loads of useful info here - but of course if you have any questions you get stuck on, do feel free to start a new thread and ask

I am sure your skills as a potter will be hugely useful to you. As you have probably found though, there are a few key differences between mud clays and polymer clays. Polymer clay doesn't air dry - which is fantastic in some ways, but means your project never dries out to that next stage like in ceramic clay. With polymer clay it is very digital - it is either soft, or you bake it and it is hard. There's no inbetweens

The other thing polymer clay has is colour - and so many different cool techniques to explore that

It really is a whole world of fun!

Looking forward to seeing some of your creations too if you feel like sharing

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MilleD

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 12:19:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)