EJR Beads

Author Topic: Formers  (Read 2458 times)

Beadbug

Formers
« on: December 28, 2016, 10:50:20 PM »
I've been meaning to share this for a while but kept forgetting. It's only because I came across them when I had to put my clay stuff in the greenhouse that I thought 'oh,there's those things I did, I was going to share these ', so here they are. I was watching another polyclay artist on YouTube and she was making beautiful delicate flowers around a cornflour based form, but they had to be used straight away otherwise they would crack and spoil the flower. Now I don't bake until I've got a decent amount of work so I tried a few different compounds to imitate her method. The best was a mix of cheap toilet paper and Das air dry clay. Make a thick slip of Das, get a glass jar and put in about a quarter pack of clay then top up with water. Meanwhile soak the cheap toilet paper in water until it breaks up into fibres. Mix the slip and the squeezed out paper together it should be a soft clay that just about holds its shape. Now form this clay around a cocktail stick to form the centre of the flower and coat with strips of more toilet paper to hold the shape, allow to dry. You can form your flowers around this then bake them at your leisure. When you want to remove the centres just soak them in water. The clay will dissolve leaving the centre clear. I've made quite a few of these and depending on how tidy the strips of paper are added you get a veined effect that's quite nice. Try it, have fun!

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Formers
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:06:26 AM »
How fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing!

So, if i am understanding rightly, you're creating a sort of papier mache former with your DAS/Bog Roll mix? That sounds excellent and presumably you can mold this to any shape you like?

Ever the mad clayer, I'd love to hear what other formulas you tried and discarded too on your journey to the best recipe?

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 09:28:32 AM »
Brilliant!  Thank you so much  :)

Beadbug

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:11:23 PM »
Yes you can make shapes with this mix. I made spheres sausages and teardrop shapes, the strips of bog paper just helped to keep the shape and of course provide some nice texture. I tried Das on its own to begin with but that was no good, I tried cornflour with Das slip then talc with slip none of them any good. So from the days of making papier-mâché I just thought it might work to combine wet paper with the slip as both would dry but not be waterproof, it worked! Anyway here's another recipe,this one is from the net but it works beautifully, I have tweaked it a bit but not much. All you need is cheap white silicone, any talc and some baby oil. Mix about three tablespoons of talc with one tablespoon of silicone and a few drops of baby oil, mix well. What you're aiming for is a fairly soft dough that holds its shape when on a surface. Form into a ball and press whatever you want to make a mold of into it. Press gently so you get a nice flat bottom. One word of advice, use it quickly, 24 hours later you should have a brill mold.

Beadbug

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 09:21:01 PM »
Forgot to say that if you substitute the silicone for pva or wood glue you get a mix that dries hard. You can shape this when it's dry and hard then you can wet sand it smooth. I mixed some to stick inside a hole in fibre board that would not take the screw to fix the hinge back on one of my kitchen cupboard doors. The hinge is still on.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 11:27:23 PM »
I can tell you have your 'mad scientist' hat on  ;D

Great ideas...thank you!  The bought silicone moulding compounds are pretty expensive and don't go very far so since most of my mould-making is random playing and many don't get used much, if at all, a home-made one seems to be the way to go.  I've seen other similar recipes but this one just making a small amount looks like a good option.

Beadbug

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 06:34:56 PM »
Yes, definitely 'mad', I think I'm a frustrated scientist, why didn't I pay more attention in class? too busy doodling. Now I wish I knew more about chemistry. There is something you can add to the mix for the hard paste that seems to smooth it out a bit, 1/2 teaspoon of washing up liquid, it just means it takes longer to dry. It will dry, I promise! Tonight's little experiment is using a dry piece of the paste that has been shaped into a cabochon then covering it in clay to see if it will survive the baking process. When you make the hard paste keep some extra talc handy if it feels too sticky just sprinkle some over it.

Beadbug

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »
Here's a pic of what I did with the hard paste. The two pale ones are still wet the next two are painted and the sticks below are the Das and bog paper formers. Oh yes, a Happy New Year to all.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 11:31:23 PM »
Happy New Year right back at you  ;D ;D ;D

May all your experiments be good ones  8)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 05:09:59 PM »
Oh wel love a bit of mad science here at the forum!

What excellent shenanigans you have been up to - thank you for sharing your processes and I do hope you will keep us posted with how everything turns out?

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Beadbug

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 07:36:30 PM »
I have made some flowers with the clay using the formers, but I think they must still be in the greenhouse with the rest of my stuff. The experiment I'm doing with the hard paste is still ongoing, I've covered the dry piece with clay now I just need to decorate it. Even though it's just an experiment I want to make a good job of it before I bake it.