EJR Beads

Author Topic: Liquid Air Dry Clay  (Read 5152 times)

Brian

Liquid Air Dry Clay
« on: November 21, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »
Hello, my name is Brian and I'm new here and new to clay all together. I've been working with polymer and air dry clay and am wondering if anyone could recommend a liquid clay or clay-like material. Something I can pour mold instead of press molding.

Thanks so much.

Beadbug

Re: Liquid Air Dry Clay
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 11:30:16 PM »
Hi Brian, I'm sure you know there is a liquid polymer clay but I'm not sure this is what you're after. What is it you're wanting to make?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 07:45:24 AM »
Yes, you can get liquid polymer clays - but it would be useful to know what you are hoping to do. And also, what your mould material is too as that is very relevent.

I am not sure, I think you can bake liquid clays in silicone moulds

Depending on the project and the effect you are trying to achieve, it could be very do-able or not in polymer clay. Or it could be that a different material entirely would be more appropriate

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MilleD

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 08:55:55 AM »
Yes, normally silicone moulds can withstand the heat of polymer clay baking.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 08:02:03 PM »
Good to know.

I think trying out moulded liquid clay do-dahs has been on my list of things to try for about 10 years now, but I've never quite got around to doing it!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Beadbug

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 12:05:23 AM »
I was looking at some vids earlier and silicone moulds will take temperatures well above that needed for any polymer clay. The vids also show people making flexible molds with liquid clay.

Brian

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 09:18:44 PM »
My goal is to use 3d soap molds for clay, as you can imagine, pressing clay into a 3d mold wouldn't work out so well.

What is a recommended brand of liquid polymer clay? Does it harden just the same?

Beadbug

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 10:03:08 PM »
Hi Brian, making a mold with liquid clay isn't something I've done myself but others have and it seems to work pretty well. If I want a flexible mold I use a mix of white silicon sealant and any cheap talcum powder. There's no recipe I just squeeze out about three tablespoons of silicon add a couple of drops of baby oil then mix in enough talc to make a paste the consistency of plasticine. Once you have your paste press your master into it,make any adjustments you might need to make then leave to cure, about 12 hours. Hope this is useful.

Brian

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 10:22:49 PM »
Hello, thank you. I'm sorry if my post was a bit confusing. I don't want to make soap molds but would like to use 3d soap molds with liquid clay. I've tried pressing clay into 3d soap molds and as you can imagine, it's not the easiest thing in the world. I was hoping to pour mold liquid clay.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 06:11:07 PM »
It looks as if you'll just have to experiment!  It sounds do-able in theory so if you have a small mould already then get some liquid clay and give it a whirl.  It will probably not be transparent but semi-opaque and possibly have air bubbles, depending on brand, and a rather uninteresting colour.  But you can mix it with eg a little oil paint or mica powders to make it look nicer.

If it doesn't work the rest of the liquid clay will be useful if you work with solid bakeable polymer clay.

I looked for a brand comparison test for you - here is a video by Cindy Leitz http://www.beadsandbeading.com/blog/three-liquid-polymer-clay-brands-compared/16923/

I'm sure Ginger at the Blue Bottle Tree did a test too but l can't find it.

It would be useful to find out which is the runniest - some are more viscous and it could be difficult to fill a mould easily.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 06:13:02 PM by Carrie »

Beadbug

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »
Hi Brian, sorry the confusion was mine, get you now. Have you thought about using hot glue and a glue gun? This is something I've seen on YouTube with the glue producing fairly flexible casts. Again though they're not very pretty but you could paint them I think.