EJR Beads

Author Topic: Coating baked polymer clay with resin query  (Read 2542 times)

hollyjosie

Coating baked polymer clay with resin query
« on: November 18, 2016, 12:43:44 PM »
I am making polymer clay flower necklaces but am finding the petals break off. I has been suggested online to coat the flowers with resin to strengthen the flowers. Can anyone please advise me how to do this or has anyone been doing this with success?    I have already had 2 orders from friends for necklaces but until i can sort out this problem, cannot fulfil these.   I am using Sculpey Premo.   

All advice greatly appreciated.

Karolina.S

Re: Coating baked polymer clay with resin query
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:41:38 PM »
First make sure you bake them at the right temperature and long enough or the clay will be britle.
Use an oven thermometer to make sure you are up to the right temp. Then tent your item and bake for about one hour.

That will give you a strong result

SEcond if the back of the flower is not visable you can add liquid clay to it and that will hold the petals together.

Here is a post i made on the Sculpey blog about that.  http://www.sculpey.com/adding-strength/
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Beadbug

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 06:29:16 PM »
Hi, I'm not sure resin would work in this respect as when I have tried this the resin 'runs' into clumps as though the clay is greasy. Apart from the excellent advice above all I can suggest is to make little wire armatures as supports for the petals.

MilleD

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
Another point to make is to ensure the clay is conditioned well enough. 

Beadbug

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 10:58:17 PM »
Dura Clear gloss might provide just enough strength for your pieces. I applied some to a piece to test for compatibility back in September and it's still perfect, but for peace of mind I'd leave it for another 3months. Depending on your designs armatures might be the best option.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 12:15:10 PM »
You might want to change the clay you are using firstly - IMHO Premo is not as strong as it used to be and there are clays out there far stronger. Cernit is excellent for strength, as is Pardo, Fimo Professional isnt bad either or Kato clay

Secondly - consider finding a way to modify your design so the petals are a little thicker. Polymer clay is never going to be reliably strong when it is only 1 or 2 mm thick, so I tend to look at making things thicker than that if possible.

Coating with resin may well work - I don't really know to be honest as I haven't really tried that out ever with a view to seeing if resin adds to the overall strength. I just think it sounds like it would be a really messy, fiddly way of dealing with the problem of breakage and really finding a way to work with the properties of the clay instead might be better?

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies