EJR Beads

Author Topic: Polymer clay and resin  (Read 2536 times)

Beadbug

Polymer clay and resin
« on: October 22, 2016, 11:24:40 PM »
I did some experiments four months ago to test the compatibility of clay and resin. Up to now there has been no degradation of the clay or the resin, both have stayed as they were on the day of the test. Sculpey and Fimo were the clays used, I haven't tried Cernit yet but that's next on the agenda. I know some have used Amazing casting resin in conjunction with clay which is fine if you're using it on coloured clay,but if you are making something on white clay you'd be better using Glass cast from easy composites as its beautifully clear and polishable.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:44:45 AM by ejralph »

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Polymer clay and resin
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 08:37:49 PM »
Never tried resin but thanks for The Range heads up....not that l actually need any more, of course ::)

MilleD

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:09:31 AM »
Must. Not. Buy. Any. More. Supplies.

:)

Beadbug

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 10:12:13 PM »
I keep saying that but I never listen to me.

Karolina.S

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 07:45:18 AM »
I have the cernit resin on my table waiting to be tested :)
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Beadbug

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 12:10:25 AM »
The experiments I did were on 1/4" inch thick clay, baked at the appropriate temperature with a depression enough to hold about 1/2 a teaspoon of resin. Although I left them for four months I would think that if they show no reaction after a month you can be fairly confident that they are compatible as plastics do seem to react quite quickly to each other. I did make a pendant using the baked clay, resin and some shiny bits to simulate opal and it turned out well until I started messing with it. Looking forward to the results of your experiment.