EJR Beads

Author Topic: Beads and Jewellery Gallery Thread - October 2016  (Read 6066 times)

Alan

Beads and Jewellery Gallery Thread - October 2016
« on: October 13, 2016, 09:38:45 AM »
Welcome to October!  Post your October beads and jewellery creations here.
Alan from wet and windy, but deceptively mild Cumbria, UK.
https://etsy.com/uk/shop/AlanCordiner

Alan

Re: Beads and Jewellery Gallery Thread - October 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 09:39:45 AM »
A pendant I made as a gift for three ladies who came from the USA to sing at the churches around here.  The little card explains what it is.  I did three and they were all the same design, but all came out differently as they were cut out freehand.  Perhaps I should have made a template, but I quite liked that they were all slightly different.

Beadbug

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 10:52:54 PM »
I think the ladies will be charmed by their lack of uniformity. Imagine them wearing their pendants while they are together, they will look at each other's pendants and feel themselves joined in friendship, but they will all be able to identify the pendant that each one was given to them personally. Sometimes I think that we have all become so used to the conformity of mass production that non conformity makes us a little uncomfortable, even those of us who work with our hands. I've lost count of the number of times I've been in the process of creating a piece and thought "that's not straight" or "that curves wrong", but then have to talk to myself about what it is to make something. Anyway that's my two pen'th l think your pendants are lovely.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 11:33:11 PM »
Beadbug has hit the nail on the head, Alan.  Each one being unique is what sets them apart from mass-produced stuff and sometimes it's difficult to stop ourselves from trying for uniformity. 
They will be a really lovely reminder of their visit when they are back at home - well done  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 07:09:46 PM »
Hey, every real wild goose will be slightly different from its goosey buddies, so sounds like they SHOULD be that way

Lovely pendants and what great gifts. I had no idea of the goose being a symbol of the early church, so learn something new everyday

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Alan

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 02:47:17 PM »
Thank you, Ladies!  Yes, of course you are all right that they shouldn't be uniform.  Each of them will have one which is slightly different and unique to them.  They were all cut freehand and not stamped out and as I only had an afternoon to do them, I was quite amazed at myself.  The following night at their final concert, they all wore them and I was very touched.  I know they appreciated them.  I just wated them to take something home which was very British and as a thank you for all they had done.  They had to raise the money to come over and were only here for three full days and packed such a lot in.  They were sweethearts!

Yes, Emma.  The church has traditionally seen the Holy Spirit as a dove.  But early Celtic Christians thought of the Holy Spirit as a wild goose.  I guess there were lots of geese around these parts as there are now.  There are many possible theological reasons for that, but the Holy Spirit is called the Comforter in the New Testament.  But the word Comforter in the original Greek doesn't mean one who comforts you.  It literally means 'one who draws alongside and spurs you into action'.  If you have a wild goose with its wings flapping and honking and pecking at you, it would certainly spur you into action!  ;D  So perhaps that is one reason why the early Celtic Christians preferred the symbolism of the wild goose rather than the dove to represent the Holy Spirit.  Sermon over. lol

I'm sorry I haven't been around much.  Soon after I posted this, my wife went into hospital and I don't know when she will be out.  So I haven't been claying, sadly, as I have too much else to do and I have had a cold myself which I haven't been able to shake off.  Sue will be fine.  It's an illness that has affected her since she was 17.  It isn't life threatening, but she becomes ill every so often and needs to go into hospital.  I know she will be perfectly well again, but don't know when.  Sadly, it's just a waiting game. ... Hey, that would make a good song title!  :)  Thank you again for your lovely comments and hopefully I'll be posting again soon. xxx 

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 10:26:59 PM »
That really is so fascinating about the church and their gooses! I am not religious myself, but I am very interested in religions and how they developed and evolved. I think you are right - that early church must have been quite a bit more wild and dramatic and the character of geese is a lovely image for that as they really can be very feisty. How wonderful too that your gifts were so well received - although hardly surprising I am sure anyone would be thrilled to own an Alan original!

I am sorry to read about your wife. That must be so tough on you both. I am glad to hear that she will soon be through the worst, but even when something is your "normal" - it still must be very difficult, stressful and just downright annoying for you both. I wish her a speedy, speedy return to health and being back home with you soon.

Emma

Beadbug

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 11:40:12 PM »
Hi Alan, I hope Sue recovers real soon, please give her my best. About geese, didn't the Romans use these birds like we do cctv, an early warning system or burglar alarm?

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »
I could quite believe that. I've seen many a place with guard geese, and they make dogs look, well lazy!
Once we were driving down a road and passed a front gate - the geese there took this as some sort of act of warfare that could not go unavenged and proceeded to chase the car honking madly. Must have been quite amusing to onlookers seeing two terrified people in a red Citreon 2CV being fiercely followed by a flappy bunch of angry white geese

Emma

Beadbug

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 07:32:30 PM »
LOL !!!

MilleD

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 07:56:04 AM »
Man, those 2CVs were definitely not goose proof! :-D

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 09:52:15 AM »
lol, certainly not - thankfully we eventually outran them

One time, we drove that car all the way down through France  - got a fab reception from the locals everywhere we went too, they were very pleased to see a British 2CV.

Emma

Alan

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 03:18:47 PM »
yes, Ladies you are right!  The early Celtic Christians knew that the Holy Spirit was always called a Dove in the New Testament and they understood the symbolism and knew the meaning of it,  But on those remote islands, Geese and wild Geese was al they knew and for them the wild goose was all they knew  so for them, they became their idea of the Holy Spirit.  Yes, they are wild and make perfect guards as the Romans knew.  But geese will always force you into action and not inaction.  That is a powerful view of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is not passive like a dove.  He challenges us to do something.  But as I explained our view of doves is very different from the New Testamnt view.  The Dove is only a symbol of someone who is almighty.  I know the Holy Spirit daily.  He loves me as do Jesus and my Father.  But He challenges me and pushes me on to be who I need to be.  I am 55 and I have studied theology to a very high standard and Sue and Emma ad I know it to be true.  None of us are armatures we all believe and know!

It's now the 29th of November and I don't think we have a November thread.  It's pointless now.  I have nothing to post now, but please people, let's keep this forum very much alive.  I've said what I've said and mean it.  I can't do much just now, but I always love seeing what you are all doing.  We live and learn together!

Alan xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 09:15:28 AM »
I'm glad your faith brings you so much comfort Alan. I am not religious myself, but I am very interested in the evolution of religions and I know for many, it is a vital tool in life to guild them and help them reach the best version of themselves they can be. Can't argue with that - whatever the particular faith may be

As for the showcase, no - I figured about halfway through the month that the November horse had bolted really. I was going to change the name of the thread to include November, but never got around to it. I will go and start December threads in a moment, a day early no less!

And I am glad you enjoy the forum -  it is quite quiet here now, as with many forums i think - as Facebook and other social media sites seem to be more popular these days for sharing and chatting. But that is ok, we have our own little band of "family" here and the door is always open for people to pop in and out whenever they fancy it.

All the while I can keep the forum going, I will do  - not only as a current venue for us to enjoy, but also because there is a wealth of everyone's shared knowledge here and it is a useful archive I think. Obviously though, it is all dependant on EJR Beads remaining afloat, so don't forget to think of us anytime any of you need suppliers or are asked for a recommendation!

Emma

MilleD

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 10:58:32 AM »
Hmm, why do I all of a sudden feel the need to buy clay...

:)