EJR Beads

Author Topic: Spiffy parcel of new things!  (Read 1844 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Spiffy parcel of new things!
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:42:37 AM »
Sooper fantastic parcel of goodies arrived this morning!
I got 3 new blocks of cent clay. Never tried this before. I've got 'biscuit', 'duck blue' and 'turquoise blue'. The duck and the biscuit are 59% opacity and the turquoise is 100%. Gonna be fun trying these out.

I also got 4 large plastic mandrels for making different shaped wire forms. Plus 2 smaller metal mandrels for making different sized jump rings, coils and loops etc.

Plus 2 sets of 3 Vintaj inks/patinas.  I got Weathered Copper and Victoria Gable. Wanted the one with the really strong purple and the deep pink, but I'll probably get those next time.

I'm gonna have such fun playing with these! Yay!

Has anyone else used any of these before? What for? What did yah make?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:25:28 PM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

MilleD

Re: Spiffy parcel of new things!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
I recently used the duck blue for the silkscreen items I put in the September gallery.  Although mine is 100% opaque so that's odd.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:20:07 PM »
I just checked. You're right it's the Duck Blue that's 100% and the Biscuit and Turquoise that are 50%. I thought the darker blue colour was the turquoise. But that's actually called Duck Blue. Weird! I'd expect 'Duck Blue' to be much paler than that. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to work with this clay - it's incredibly squishy. It's even softer than Sculpey Ultra Light clay.
I'd like to be able to mix it with something like Pardo. Which is the firmest clay I've got. That's if you can mix it?
Can you?
Love your silkscreen stuff, Claire. I don't have any silkscreens,  so I've not tried that at all. Love the dark look of the 'duck blue' clay. That's a superb colour. I just wish the Cernit wasn't so squishy.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:31:33 PM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 04:28:09 PM »
You can easily leach the clay, Fran - l expect it's soft because it's so fresh  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:53:46 PM »
Right-Oh.  Will try it tomorrow. Will also try one of the other packs.
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »
The cernit stocks coming out of the factory do seem to be softer and softer these days. I think it is because Cernit is growing in popularity again, so we are ending up with fresher and fresher stocks.

There are two ways to handle that - either buy well in advance, stick the clay on your shelf for a few weeks or months and allow it to naturally "age".  I have several customers who work with clay professionally and they tend to do this, always keeping their own good stocks of their key colours so they can work with clay that is a few months old.

More easily, leaching the oils out of the clay is easy to do and will make the clay stiffer to work with

As for the patinas - they are designed to be used over metal to add colour but people do use them with polymer clay. They need to be baked on the clay to "set" the paint as they don't tend to dry too well otherwise.

If you google for vintaj patina + polymer clay, you'll likely come up with a few pages or videos of ideas

Emma

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies