EJR Beads

Author Topic: Jewellery Clay Questions (Mostly Cernit)  (Read 3566 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Jewellery Clay Questions (Mostly Cernit)
« on: September 22, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »
Hi all,
I'm fed up with my models having bits snapping off, so I'm looking to change clays from Super Sculpey, to another brand, less likely to snap.
I've already got Premo, and Pardo, so I'm trying those two now. But I also wondered about Cernit's qualities in this respect.
I'd like to know various things like:

1) How does it handle? how easy is it to condition prior to sculpting/modeling? how easy is it to model with?

2) What temperature does it bake at? how long do you bake it? (I'm wondering here if I could bake it in the same batch with say Premo? or with Pardo? or would it need to go in the oven on it's own?)

3) Do you know if anyone's done any YouTube demos of strength with Cernit?

4) What's your experience of working with it?

5) is there a colour of Cernit normally used for doll making? (I'm not making dolls, I'm just used to the colour of Super Sculpey's Beige clay, I can see details okay when working with this colour. So I'd like some of that sort of colour. I do like to use black, white, and translucent too, but I find these harder to see details in, so I'd only use those for specific things that needed it.)

6) And lastly:
Can anyone recommend any other clay makes for delicate jewellery?

Thanks for your attention folks.

Fran
FranOnTheEdge

MilleD

Re: Jewellery Clay Questions (Mostly Cernit)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:47:45 PM »
I can only answer a couple based on my experience.

Out of the packet, Cernit always feels quite hard to me (barring the Shiny range), but seems to warm to your hands really quickly.  I find hand conditioning far more effective than will a pasta machine.  It also seems to regain some stiffness fairly quickly when you let it cool.

I bake it with both Premo and Pardo.

It feel very strong when bakes, but not brittle that I've noticed.

I like it, it would probably be the clay I'd go for if I wanted strength.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 04:56:10 PM »
Thanks Claire, I've ordered a few packs from Emma. So now I just have to wait to try it out. I won't buy bigger packs until I've seen how it goes. But in each batch I'm intending to try thin things that I wouldn't normally make. Just to see what happens with them.
FranOnTheEdge

MilleD

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 06:09:39 PM »
Just makes sure you check that are using the opacity that you intended to use as I fell foul of that recently.  Thought I was using a 100% one and it was 50%.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »
Thanks for that, Claire. I've only ordered biscuit, Duck Blue and Turquoise Blue, no trans as yet. But if these work okay I would want some trans, so I'll keep it in mind.

Fran
FranOnTheEdge

MilleD

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 04:45:59 PM »
It's not just the trans, some of the Number One range have 50% opacity rather than 100%.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 05:33:22 PM »
Lots of the colours do seem to be getting softer in the Cernit range - especially the new colours. So I assume this really is just these colours are reaching the end user more quickly as Cernit gains in popularity.

As Claire said, the Shiny range is crazy soft - but it is a translucent base, which is squishy anyway and brand new colours so it really doesn't surprise me.

Cernit is very responsive to hand heat - so if colours are a bit stiff, just handling them helps enormously - and if they get a little soft, likewise they cool down again quite quickly. For those colours that are a bit too soft from the packet, it is a good idea to leach out some of the oils - and this can be done very quickly and easily.

Cernit is definitely one of the strongest, if not the strongest clay I've used - of course, your mileage may vary, but it wins hands down over everything else I have tried it against.

I find it handles beautifully but I really stick to beadmaking rather than modelling. It is worth considering though - many doll makers around the world use Cernit exclusively or as a major part of their clay. Cernit also has a really extensive Doll range with loads of different skin tone colours - more than any other brand. So I think when it comes to modelling, Cernit is right up there at the top in terms of what professionals choose and also in terms of how dedicated the manufacturer is in catering to that market.

There ARE things to understand about Cernit though - as mentioned many of the colours are semi-translucent. This means they will darken considerable upon baking. Well, that isn't true really - they just show their true colour upon baking. They look artifically lighter pre-baking because the translucent clay part of their make up is appearing cloudy white as all trans clay does before baking.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:30:37 AM »
Wooohooo! Parcel arrived today! Gonna try out the clay soonest!  Weeeheee, toys to play with!
FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 03:10:21 PM »
I've been trying out the biscuit clay today. I must say I'm finding it very hard to work with. It's so very soft it feels like it's flowing out of my fingers. I'm trying to model another turtle and I can't pick it up off the tile or it's legs stretch badly out of shape.
Um... is it possible to add Cernit to any other clay?  I'd like to try and firm it up a bit... or a LOT!
Pardo is quite firm. Would that work do you think?
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 04:29:31 PM »
I'm sure you could mix them, but it would be easier and less effort just to leach the soft clay.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 10:52:15 PM »
Gosh. I've had no occasion to do that for so long that I'd forgotten about that possibility. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks. (I thought it was just the way that Cernit was. Nice to think it may just be this single packet.)
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
Cernit is quite soft these days because the clay stocks we are getting seem to be fresher and fresher (part of Cernit's sucess story as more and more people switch to it maybe?)

Also, Cernit is very responsive to hand heat, softening with handling. Conversely it is very responsive to cold and a few minutes resting the clay or popping it in the fridge will stiffen it quite a bit.

Once you get used to this quality of Cernit, it actually becomes very useful because you can control the consistency to a wider degree mid-working that you can with many clays I find.

But if colours are too soft out of the packet, it is easier to leach some of the oil out - just smooth sheets of the clay snugly between to sheets of clean paper and leave for a few minutes. You'll see the oily patch on the paper of stuff removed from the clay. Recondition the clay and repeat leaching as many times as you need to until the clay handles more firmly.

If you try the new Shiny range colours - they are soft as anything and require quite a bit of leaching, but on the plus side they are very unusual, rich colours that are worth the effort!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »
Yeah, hand heat. Makes sense as I have very hot hands. I will try the leaching. Thanks Emma.
FranOnTheEdge