EJR Beads

Author Topic: Journal Making - need FLAT glue  (Read 7846 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Journal Making - need FLAT glue
« on: September 14, 2016, 10:56:48 AM »
Hi folks, not been around for a while. Sorry.
Boy it's so hot I can hardly stand it! Isn't it hateful?

I'm making a journal and wanted to glue a lovely shiny gold fabric to card... either amazon packaging or greyboard. I've been thinking maybe heat n' bond... or thermo-web... but I don't know much about that sort of stuff, not being into sewing.
Can any of you advise me please?
I want this nice satiny gold fabric (dunno what it is, I got it in a bag of free fabric from a local craft group) to stick nice and smoothly to the card, with NO BLOBS or LINES of glue showing, 'cos when I ironed this fabric (it had got all creased in the bag) and used squirts of water from my iron to remove the creases, the fabric darkened with the water... lightened again when the moisture was 'heated out' by the iron... so I also don't want uneven patches of colour to show after I've stuck this fabric down... that's why I was thinking 'sheets of adhesive'.
I've also got some nice cream coloured fabric (same stuff it feels like) and I thought I could use that for the inside lining of the covers...

So what do people think? and if such flat sheets of adhesive will work, what's the best one? strongest? longest lasting? smoothest? etc etc.
Help?
If you want to see the fabric, here it is:

Can't add the actual pic as an attachment here, because to get it small enough, the image develops lines all over the fabric - which are not there in real life... so there you are.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:32:57 AM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

Karolina.S

Re: Journal Making - need FLAT glue
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:11:18 PM »
Welcome back Fran.

I suggest a spray on glue. Or that you use ordinary white glue but spread it thin and even.

And BTW i found a spray on varnish for pc
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 01:43:02 PM »
Hi Fran.  I think the fabric is likely to be viscose since it creased, not polyester...sorry - that's no help at all, is it!

I have no experience whatsoever of gluing fabric or covering board, but if I was doing this I think I would probably use a thin layer of wadding under the fabric and not glue at all.  I would use - are they brads? - anyway, those things or something that would penetrate through the fabric, wadding and board and make a slightly quilted finish (I am picturing upholstered chairs I think!). 

Whatever you do you are going to have to think about your edges and especially the corners, and how to reduce the bulk in the latter.  Whether you glue the outer or not perhaps you could cover another piece of thin board, slightly smaller than the front, to glue on the inside. 

Speaking of glue, Karolina's white glue sounds about right....though you'd better practise on a scrap first!    I have a feeling that if you leave white glue to dry to tackiness you'll find it easier....oh, and thinking about that, how about stretching your fabric out in some way - I dunno, using masking tape to hold it on a work surface - and placing your board glue side down onto it rather than putting the fabric down onto the board.

Just a load of random thoughts, but hope they might help a bit!

Yes - impossibly hot  >:( but at least I'm nearer the coast than you are so we might be a half a degree cooler than where you are!

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 04:30:35 PM »
 ::)

MilleD

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 06:36:31 PM »
::)

Good of you to answer.  She hasn't been here since half an hour after she asked the question so maybe you weren't quick enough ;)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 07:30:55 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  I quite enjoyed my little bit of brainstorming...exercising the old brain cells....

I thought of more ideas but guessed it would be pointless.... ::)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 07:49:34 PM »
Karolina S, Yes, spray on glue was also something I was thinking about, but I don't know of any. I had however heard of Bond A Web and similar sheets of adhesive, which is why those were uppermost in my mind.
Do you know of any makes of spray glue?
FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 08:00:38 PM »
Hi Carrie,
Yes, I could do a puffy cover, using wadding to create the puff. But that wasn't what I was aiming for. I wanted smooth and flat, because I might then be able to paint or add other layers to the cover... especially if the adhesive discolours the fabric. Of course if the gluing down of the fabric to the greyboard/cardboard does work, and doesn't discolour or distort it, then any layers could still leave some of the original colour showing.

Yes, I'll definitely try a test or 2 before attempting the actual gluing.

What other ideas?
Why would they be pointless?
(Sorry if you were waiting for me to come back quickly, I do as little computer work as I can these days as looking at the screen for a long time becomes excruciatingly painful to my neck.)

Oh Karolina S, what spray on varnish did you find for PC?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:03:10 PM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

Karolina.S

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 07:37:03 AM »
Molotow Premium Glossy.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 09:09:15 AM »
Can't remember what other ideas were but they were definitely not flat and smooth so no use at all  ;D

Sounds as if you'll be able to disguise the corners etc with added stuff  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »
Molotow Premium Glossy.

That''s a new one on me. I'll look into that. Thanks Karolina S.
FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 11:32:46 AM »
Can't remember what other ideas were but they were definitely not flat and smooth so no use at all  ;D

Sounds as if you'll be able to disguise the corners etc with added stuff  :)

Well I could just make nice neat corners, and leave it at that... This would be especially easy if I could use a spray glue... but I don't have, or know of any, which is why I thought I'd better ask for advice.
So if you, or anyone else, knows of any spray glues??? Please tell me about them!

I would prefer to make nice neat corners, since they would be on the inside of the cover... and I wouldn't want a huge build up of added stuff on the inside, or there might be no room for the pages.

I suppose you could do the covers backwards, and have the folds of the corners on there and then disguise it with texture paste and such... but I'm reluctant to do that. I'd prefer to get it as neat as possible in the first place and add texture simply because I want to, as part of the design, and not to disguise a mess.

I might sew a hem all around the lighter cream material and then stick that down on top of the folded over corners of the gold material, folded over from the front... thus giving a nice neat finish.
Or I could stick the cream to another piece of board, thin card or stiffer greyboard... (probably thin card) and then stick that on top of the inside of the cover... ditto with another piece for the spine and one for the back cover - that way I have stiffener for the spine and it's thinner between the spine and back and front cover... thus you get flexibility in the folds. You know, where the front cover folds over to protect the pages.

Point is, I still need to know about spray glues. And I know nothing about them.
Help?
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »
Covering another piece of card for the inside was one of my suggestions.

"Whether you glue the outer or not perhaps you could cover another piece of thin board, slightly smaller than the front, to glue on the inside".

Only trying to help, you know!   Sorry none of it did.   Don't know about spray on glues.  Paper crafting, journalling etc are out of my range of experience which is all fabric, clay, beading and polymer clay.

Karolina.S

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 02:54:38 PM »
I Googled "best Spray Adhesives" and found 3M super 77 to bee a good option for you.

Take a look at than one.

Spray adhesives are not within our expertise i guess but take a look at that one.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 04:29:30 PM »
Covering another piece of card for the inside was one of my suggestions.

"Whether you glue the outer or not perhaps you could cover another piece of thin board, slightly smaller than the front, to glue on the inside".
Well there you go. It had to have popped into my forebrain from somewhere! Lol!
I've done similar before - but not with fabric, only with marbled papers or other paper used for the inner part of the cover. I don't know why my venturing in to using fabrics should have suddenly given me a mind wipe.

Only trying to help, you know!   Sorry none of it did. 

Oh don't say that. Never say that. Of course it helps. Even if I don't end up using one of your ideas this time, I might remember it another time, and anyway just being able to talk about these things with people who understand any kind of crafting helps me more than I can describe.

Don't know about spray on glues.  Paper crafting, journalling etc are out of my range of experience which is all fabric, clay, beading and polymer clay.
There you are, 'Fabric' you see. I have very little experience in this area. It's why I'm asking for help. And I really appreciate all the ideas, Carrie.
FranOnTheEdge