EJR Beads

Author Topic: Congratulations to Renata Jansen!  (Read 2607 times)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Congratulations to Renata Jansen!
« on: September 10, 2016, 09:56:01 AM »
I should probably put this in the Sculpting thread, but wanted everyone to see it.

Many of you will be aware of the work of Renata Jansen, she makes incredible sculptures.
http://www.renatajansen.co.uk/

I'm not sure if Renata visits the forum, but she is an EJR Beads customer so feel very proud to offer a little public congratulations to her.

She was recently commissioned to recreate the members of the band Kings of Leon in polymer clay for their new album cover. See the video of her working and the finished masterpieces here
https://www.facebook.com/KingsOfLeon/videos/10154125669096107

Congratulations Renata and thrilled to see what became of the Cernit!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MilleD

Re: Congratulations to Renata Jansen!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 01:22:04 PM »
Wow, what talent.

Some of the comments on the Facebook post make me despair though.  I think I should stick to my habit of not reading what people write on there...

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 03:24:47 PM »
What talent!
I'm not sure that l actually like some of the things on her site ..... l'm not sure l'd like some of the people (men?) who'd buy them  ??? (Sorry, men!)  That's not to say that l don't admire them for the astonishing workmanship.

The video is amazing though.  Agree about some of the fb comments.....maybe the video should have been longer, slower, though of course the attention span of some of the numpties wouldn't have seen it through....... ::)

MilleD

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 06:44:52 PM »
I'm not sure it would 'just' be men buying her stuff. 

There is a certain gothic eroticism to some of them that is sort of fashionable.  The appreciation of form is exquisite.

I think they are intriguing :)

MilleD

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 06:50:34 PM »
And she has cats :-D

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 06:56:56 PM »
I'd not really stopped to think if I like the pieces. Because actually, on the whole - I am just not really into sculptures and human form things at all - be it 3 dimentional or paintings, photography etc. It just isn't my bag - so I think the question of if I like it becomes irrelevent because my opinion in that area just doesn't really matter. When it comes to making my heart flutter, a beautiflly glazed ceramic bowl or stunning woven shawl will do it over a sculpture anyday of the week. That is just me.

So thus establishing that my likes are completely not important, my brain can put that aside quite easily and I then DO get that heart flutter - but out of an appreciation of the workmanship and talent and creativity. If that makes ANY sense. And from that perspecting, I find Renata's work makes my heart flutter so much, I probably need to visit the doc for beta blockers.

I've no idea who the buyers are, but to be honest I'd be surprised if they weren't mostly women - women just tend to be more collectors of this stuff and i think the whole erotic / burlesque scene now is something many women embrace wholeheartedly and find very empowering. Again, not me because I am a dead inside prude mostly  :P

But hey - isn't this a very well debated concept - eroticism in art. It is something that we'll never really conclusively agree on as a society, where that line is.

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 10:46:55 PM »
Yes -  I can absolutely admire the astonishing workmanship but at the same time feel uncomfortable with the eroticism...probably an age thing   ::)  But then I don't like any of the fairies and dolls etc that l see on fb.....

On the other hand......wouldn't l just love to be able to do it  ;D

I reckon l'm just out of touch......

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:49:32 PM by Carrie »

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »
I don't know if it an age thing or not. You should hear my younger bro on these matters - lol, I think he'd have everyone wearing burkinis on the beach down here  if he could, lol and thinks anything that hints at "that type of business" should be well behind closed doors!

As I said, I am probably more to your way of thinking on the erotic stuff, but I think there's definitely a strong market who appreciate it and I don't think they do so in a smutty way, just everyone has different levels of what is art don't they

Emma

Beadbug

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 11:03:34 PM »
I know this is a fairly old post I'm commenting on but from my point of view an artist in whatever medium has no need to justify what they produce. The fact that some of the comments they elicit from less enlightened folk is not something they should consider seriously, a brief perusal of the history of art should shut them up and if it doesn't well ,hey ho. I can't say I'm a great fan of that style of work but I admire it greatly and more power to her elbow. Sculptural work is something I am just starting to experiment with so work like this and that of mr. Stanuch is of great value to me.