EJR Beads

Author Topic: bead rollers  (Read 6819 times)

Lyndi

bead rollers
« on: April 30, 2011, 03:48:34 PM »
I would like to know if anyone can tell me where I can get a large 1 bead roller
I've tried by hand to do them but they always look wonky, I need some help.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: bead rollers
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »
Hi Lyndi

I do carry some bead rollers in the online store - do also try just googling "bead roller" and I am sure you will come up with some good leads.

Recommending commercial businesses is against our No Commercial Selling policy for the forum, so members won't be able to help you searching out where to buy different products I am afraid.

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »
Maybe we can share some tips with you for rolling more even beads by hand? I must admit, I like bead rollers - especially for decorative techniques. But would never choose them over my own two hands for rolling basic round bead shapes. I think hands are superior for that particular job.

The best tip I have for rolling rounds is to take your time and take a few pauses to let the clay cool down.

I will often take the rolling part in stages - rolling all the beads into a rough round shape, putting them in the fridge for 10 mins or so, then rolling some more etc. By taking it a little slower, I find I will roll near perfect rounds.

I also find that I only need to roll each bead a little in between the letting it cool phases. Roll for too long and I will roll it out of shape rather than into shape. The best results for me are - quick roll, rest, quick roll, rest etc. Then one final rest to let the clay firm up again before piercing the hole.

Emma

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:44:10 PM »
This is how I do it (obviously reverse if you're a leftie):

Bead in palm of left hand, keep this hand still. Right hand moves in small circles over the top with light pressure, just a little at a time. Every few circles, reverse the direction you're moving your hand in - this somehow really helps to make the shape rounder.

Alternatively, don't mess about with the clockwise then anticlockwise circles - just do a couple of circles then pick up the bead and move it a little, and repeat.

Personally I find it much harder to get round shapes if the clay's cooled down too much, because it needs more pressure to change the shape so I'm more likely to mess it up, but we all have our own little ways of doing stuff. As with everything, practice practice practice I guess, and you'll find out what works best for you.

I have a bead roller and rarely use it, to be honest. When I do, it's only to make oval beads because it's easier to get them perfect in the roller than by hand.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
Alternatively, don't mess about with the clockwise then anticlockwise circles - just do a couple of circles then pick up the bead and move it a little, and repeat.

This is exactly how I do it - well put into words, thank you!

I so agree about practice making perfect too. Others might find what they consider the "perfect" method for this, that and the other in polymer clay. But it doesn't always mean it will become your perfect method. There really is no substitute for just trying out as many different ideas as you can and seeing which suits you and your working style best.

That is why I love forums for crafts - because you always get so many different perspectives on the same subject.

Emma

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 04:55:43 PM »
I have two different bead rollers, both of which I have tried and just don't get on with!!

I always roll in my hands now. Not sure I can explain the process very well, but bot hands move in a clockwise direction but at different speeds. I cup my hands, tend to use the fleshy part of the palm and don't put too much pressure on.

As Anna said, practise, practise, practise!

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »
Oh yeah and once I'm happy with the shape I do a very gentle roll with some cornflour to take the palmprints out, and make any final shape adjustments. It makes a lot of difference!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »
Oh yeah and once I'm happy with the shape I do a very gentle roll with some cornflour to take the palmprints out, and make any final shape adjustments. It makes a lot of difference!

I do this if I am using Fimo. If I am using Cernit, I don't find I need to bother with that step very often. If I'm using translucent clays, I will also try to avoid it as I get clearer results if I don't use any talc / cornflour on the bead.

Had good results too by dipping the bead in water and rolling it whilst wet- this doesn't seem to affect the translucent clays either.

Emma

Di

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »
I have a bead roller but can't seem to get on with it! There are some great tips here. Remember that not all beads need to be round or an even shape - sometimes deliberately uneven shapes like pebbles are fun to do. It is true that you will get better with practice.

Di :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »
This is very true Di - actually round beads can be quite boring sometimes I think.

I love pebble-shaped beads too. Just squishing bits of clay between two rubber stamps is a great way to make simple, textured pebble beads.

Emma

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »
Just remembered - the beads in the top banner for the forum are made sort of that way.

I made some simple press moulds for myself with a texture on the inside. (simple textured circles cut from scrap clay. They were then baked inside the concave part of a metal paint palette to give a curve.)

Then just whack a ball of clay onto a toothpick. Place the pushmoulds either side and press down. Instant textured lentil beads.

Love making my own tools like that.

Emma

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
I like perfect round beads when the surface effect is very simple, like just a single colour of glitter or mica or something like that.

Anything else I tend towards a more oval shape.

That mould idea is a great one Emma, I might well be stealing that! ;)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
That mould idea is a great one Emma, I might well be stealing that! ;)

Cool!

It's very effective, although the textures will close up a little as the clay curves in on itself. So works better with bolder textures, especially those with any radial design.

Other nice thing is you can use them for ceramic and silver clay projects too of course.

Emma

Lyndi

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 07:46:11 PM »
Thank you for all the advice, I will try them all, especially putting it in the fridge for a while
in between rollings. :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »
I also find that just washing my hands with cold water before rolling really helps to keep the clay cool.

Emma