EJR Beads

Author Topic: Liquid clay  (Read 3286 times)

Hazel

• Continuum Designs
Liquid clay
« on: May 04, 2011, 10:50:35 PM »
Having gnashed my teeth over this, I'm turning to the forum for tips :)

How on earth do you apply liquid polmer clay (Fimo Deko Gel specifically) so that it lies flat/smoothly?! I've tried simply pouring it on, brushing it on in thin layers, using my fingertips etc., but every time I end up with a craggy, uneven surface. I'd better add that yes, I am keeping the pieces flat on a ceramic tile, and I've tried tapping the tile like you would with chocolate to remove the bubbles, all to no avail.

Help?

polynana

• Nan xxx
    • Polynana Beads
Re: Liquid clay
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
I've never had any luck with that except to mix it with alcohol inks for filling in stamped areas like in faux ceramic effects. When I tried to  cover a flat surface it left tiny areas uncovered when i baked it and it also peeled away

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:24:52 AM »
I used to use the deko gel for my flat pendants but I've completely given it up since I discovered resin. Not really very helpful am I? ;)

I just used to use the squeezy tip thingy but they very rarely come out completely perfect if you don't put enough on. Try putting on enough to "dome" and you might find that helps. It will shrink back a bit when it bakes too.

noani

• Eva
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:19:14 AM »
Try adding a few drops of clay softener to the liquid clay! I use Kato liquid polyclay( i think thats the best for covering things )and add a few drops of Sculpeys clay softener and mix...works fine for me :) I bake the pendant first then cover with the mixture and when its completly cool, bake again.Repeat up to three times.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 07:07:27 AM »
When I use the Deko Gel, I tend to just wait an hour or so and let it settle, it always seems to even out beautifully.

I also like to mix it into a thick paste with glitters and stuff. When I put a huge dollop of it on a tile, it  might take a while, but it always settles down into a flat puddle which I can then bake and cut up to use for inclusions into other clay beads etc

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Di

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
I have never had much success either - I tend to use it for sticking layers of pendants together or mixing with inks.

Di :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »
I have never had much success either - I tend to use it for sticking layers of pendants together or mixing with inks.

Di :)

I have to agree that this is where the Deko Gel's forte is. Mostly mine is used for the same reasons. Every now and then though, I do like to make the sparkly sheets.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Hazel

• Continuum Designs
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »
Eva - thanks for the tip, I'll try it next time I'm brave enough to get out the liquid clay ;)

I'm actually really glad other people have trouble with liquid clay (well, not glad that you all have trouble, but glad that I'm not the only one!) I mostly used it for image transfers, but they look and feel terrible when they have these weird little divots at random points - I have left each attempt for a while to let it settle, but perhaps I should be waiting even longer. Or perhaps I should accept that liquid clay and I have compatibility issues :D

I'd like to try resin, but I have to do the vegan detective work first ::)