EJR Beads

Author Topic: Versacraft ink pads  (Read 3325 times)

MilleD

Versacraft ink pads
« on: August 05, 2016, 11:02:44 AM »
Does anyone know if these are safe for use on polyclay - raw?

A friend has said she has some that she doesn't use.  They are little cube shaped things.

Any ideas?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Versacraft ink pads
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 11:11:30 AM »
I think I have used them before - many moons ago though, before the clay formulations changed. So not much use. I am pretty sure I used a sort of chalk effect colours which was nice and possibly a metallic one which didn't dry on unbaked clay and needed to be baked to set it. But I cannot recall properly

I'd say if she is giving them for free, take them and experiment - but I am a notorious womble

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MilleD

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 01:34:28 PM »
Thanks Madame Cholet :)

Beadbug

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 10:31:57 PM »
Hi MillieD, I haven't used Versacraft but I have used Dovecraft and Hobbycrafts own ink pads. I used them to stick embossing powder to the reverse of my pieces, I had to be really careful not to burn the clay but I did get some nice results.

MilleD

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 07:53:43 PM »
Thanks Beadbug :)

MilleD

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 08:42:43 AM »
I can report after using these stamps for my half failed recent attempt that whilst once baked, these stamps seem fine, they really do not dry on the raw clay.

This makes handling and shaping the clay a bit of a nightmare where you have to hold everything at the edges.

The colours are beautifully vivid though :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 05:31:20 PM »
I seem to recall that was my experiences too.

Are they waterbased or alcohol based?

I've long be a fan of Stazon stamping pads for use on raw polyclay. For some reason though, the metallics never would dry for me - only the straight regular colours

Emma

MilleD

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 07:38:01 PM »
They are water based.  Can be heat set on fabric.

Maybe I was just being impatient and they would have dried if I'd waited longer.

I do like the stazon pads.  I have a few, but I do think they are a slightly pricey way of buying when you want lots of colours because they are sooo big.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 08:29:30 PM »
All throughout my polyclay online journey, I've come across people using various fabric paints on clay, and they never dry - always have to be baked to set them. So I wonder what it is about stuff suitable for use on fabrics that doesn't dry on polyclay, even when it is waterbased?

But so many waterbased paints etc don't dry on clay like they used to.

And yes - I'd not really thought about it, but the Stazon are quite big for most polyclayer's needs arent they. I guess for card makers etc, they are quite a good size for inking up rubber stamps, but we tend to work to a much smaller scale.

I'm pretty sure I used to use the ink pads shaped like cats eyes too with clay. Cannot really remember if I had to heat set them or not though.

Emma

Beadbug

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 10:50:30 PM »
You're right, the size of stamps for use on clay is a problem. I find that I'm using just the edges of the ones I have, but I've been lucky recently as I was given a dozen or so 1" X 1" stamps. You can make your own stamps out of scrap clay by taking advantage of the carving properties of the clay once baked. I did a cat in profile and a stylised bird, it's really just like making a potato print, it was enjoyable to do and I learned a lot also as they were my designs, no problem with copyright!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 09:46:49 AM »
I've never found it an issue because I tend to use all stamps and textures in quite an abstract way anyway. I like just taking parts of a pattern to use. I've actually had the other issue at times where the pattern has been too small and "recognisable" in a stamp design and I have rejected it as I couldn't easily just use part of it.

But there is definitely a need for smaller, nice design stamps.

Emma