EJR Beads

Author Topic: EJR - Cernit Shiny Colours  (Read 5004 times)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
EJR - Cernit Shiny Colours
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:07:22 PM »
Cernit have brought out some new mica-laden colours, there new Shiny range.

We have most of the new colours now at EJR Beads - the range seems to consist of darker, brooding colours and brighter shades. These are the darker colours - quite unlike anything else around in the clay ranges these days I think. Old timers might remember some of the dark metallic colours in the Fimo range from the 80s which were similar deep colours but of course these days we have mica instead of pearl to create the shimmer, so the modern clays are a lot more fun!

This quick set of tests show the 4 darker colours - Shiny Purple, Shiny Gold, Shiny Duck Green and Shiny Cosmos. I've done straight rolled out clay and quick mica shift tests, both sanded and varnished. The beads are just the unadulterated clays as they come, fresh from the oven without sanding or varnishing

If you're keen to have a play with these fun new colours - just visit EJR Beads https://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17_143_217 and remember, freepost on UK orders over 25!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Alan

Re: EJR - Cernit Shiny Colours
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 05:50:34 PM »
They look great, Emma.  And what a cracking set of mica shifts, that girl! :)
Alan from wet and windy, but deceptively mild Cumbria, UK.
https://etsy.com/uk/shop/AlanCordiner

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 08:37:30 AM »
Ah thanks Alan

I have to say though, I am no great shakes when it comes to mica shift - I literally just rolled out the clay a few times until it was shiny, stacked it two thick sheets high and pressed a wooden printing block down into the clay. I shaved the proud areas using a level tissue blade and baked the clay, then sanded it smooth.  That is about as far as my mica shift talents extend!

The clay itself has incredible depth though and the colours are certain very grown-up metallics.

Emma

Beadbug

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 09:47:29 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum please forgive any errors. I bought some Cernit Shiny and I'm astounded by the depth my very basic sample displayed. I'm now designing a bracelet to take advantage of this depth.
Beadbug

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 07:10:24 AM »
That is great to hear! I hope you will share your work with us when it is finished?

Emma

MilleD

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 03:23:25 PM »
Emma, can I ask whether you found this clay particularly soft?  I just can't get it to stay smooth.  Fingerprints and blade marks are terrible in it.

I don't think my house is particularly warm...

Beadbug

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 12:16:48 AM »
It's a lovely clay and has a gorgeous depth when shifted. But it does need a lot of leeching and I do mean a LOT. However it's worth it for the effect you'll get. I leeched mine till it was practically dry and used a little diluent if I let one go too far. Brown paper seemed to be the best to use. Hope this helps.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 12:26:44 PM »
Yes, it is incredibly soft - almost goey!

I think there are probably two reasons for this:

1. The base for the clay appears to be a translucent - and translucent clays do tend to be quite soft anyway

2. These colours are very new, fresh from the factory. It could be as stocks age a little on the factory warehouse shelf or indeed in your own clay box, the clay will stiffen a little.

Meanwhile, the clay does need a lot of leeching. This can be done by rolling the clay into a thick sheet and layering it between sheets of white paper. Smooth the paper onto the clay surface each side and let it alone for 10 to 15 mins.

Remove the paper, and recondition the clay. If it is still too soft, repeat the leeching until the desired consistency is acheived, always remembering to re-condition it well before you finally use it.

Emma

MilleD

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 09:16:19 PM »
Leeching it is then.

:)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 05:29:54 PM »
I'm afraid so.

I think it is one of those things where if they add stuff to stiffen the clay, it will affect the depth and translucency. So we have to just lump it and suck as much of the oil out as we need to make it workable maybe?

I don't know - I am no expert when it comes to mica shift stuff, so I am cack-handed at it at the best of times. But I had challenges just making my test tiles and needed to leach the clay, even then it was still quite floppy.

But on the plus side, I thought the baked effect was very cool and the colours strangely grown-up when for years now the clay companies seem to be giving us more and more banal, kindergarten colours year on year.

The question is though - will we ever tame the floppy beast?

I'd love to hear how you all get on with these Shiny colours.

Emma