EJR Beads

Author Topic: knock to confidence  (Read 4314 times)

salemkat

• All-sorts Creations & Design
knock to confidence
« on: May 12, 2016, 06:46:29 AM »
I was asked by a colleague to make a dragon.  Now I mostly make cute 'n' cuddly designs and not serious looking ones.  However he wanted a proper dragon.  I was up for the challenge.  After approx 10 hours of work I created something I believe to be beautiful and I am so proud of the dragon. 
When I told him the price he said "no wonder you don't sell much stuff your to expensive"

That shook me and has knocked me for six.  I do make things mostly because I love it and find it therapeutic, but I would like to turn it into a business over time.  Almost feel like giving up. 

How do I get over this.  I have been asked to make a bride, groom, best man and 5 bridesmaids plus a page boy.  I had a price worked out before this incident and now I am doubting myself. 

Any tips on how to get over this blip?

Thanks (sorry for the rant) :-X

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: knock to confidence
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 05:37:35 PM »
No - don't doubt yourself!  Many people price their things too low for the work involved but you aren't, and are quite rightly starting off as you mean to go on.

What a terrible thing to say - l wonder how he would price 10 hours or more of intense work in something he has a special talent for.....l bet he wouldn't ask peanuts.

It isn't the same person who has asked you to do the bride and groom etc, is it?   There are other people making such things - our own Karolina for one - so they can easily compare prices if they wanted to and see that you are not overcharging ( l wouldn't be surprised if it's the opposite.)     Did you give them a rough price and if so, did they change their mind?  If not,  don't underprice yourself because of that one ignorant person. 

I want to see your dragon!

salemkat

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:23:01 AM »
It's not the same person.  I did give them a price at all for fear of them thinking I was over charging lol.  I have a bit more time to work it all out now as the wedding has been held back for a while.  So that gives me a little bit of breathing space to get the figures right.

Here is the dragon I named her Petrass.  I am still new at this clay thing and still learning but for my skill level I think she is beautiful.

Karolina.S

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:55:32 AM »
I charge to little for my cake topper but im slowly upping my prices.  Now they are about 600 SEK ,70 dollars or 50 pound. After the summer im raising them to 700 Swedish.  Or to be more exact they  are now 590 Sek (that fells cheaper than 600 to the costumer)

My first topper i asked half that for and i was told that nobody wants to pay that. Now they are double the price and orders keep coming, the price is not an issue unless it is rediculsly high. If you make something that people want they will buy it even if it is pricy. So dont listen to negative people.
We have a saying in Swedish and it is that no mather wich way you turn, your butt will always face backwards. It means that no mather what you do somebody is going to be oppinonated (spelling?). Anyone here in this forum that sells there stuff in markets or fairs can tell you that one person will come along , look at your makes and say "way to cheap!" the next one comes along looks at it and says "way too expensive, i can go to H&M and buy a necklace for nickles" . That last category are not your costumer and will never be so let them go and take their negative energy back home.

I do have a tip for you and that is name the price first and as long as it is not family take their money before starting working on the piece.  I wil not even touch the clay untli the toppers are paid for.

Also remember as your skill levels goes up your time spent making the stuff will go down. Take that in account when you name your price. Reasnoble is to charge for a little less time than it takes you from the beginning (only if it is stuff that you are going to repeat like toppers)

Now to the tough part..... You make nice and cute stuff and your dragon looks good and you should be proud of it.

But as a beginner you should also (maybe you are) take this in account in your pricing, as your skill level goes up with practice the quality of your stuff will be even better and better. Then your prices have to reflect that and go up.
Im not trying to put you down in any way ! We all started out beginners and my first makes did not look good but i was proud of them and i sold them at a local flee market. Now i can see that my 6 year old daughter makes better stuff :D . She does sell them ;)

This is the great thing about creativity we just keep on growing and the price grows with that.

Never let that one negative person put you down! There are always going to be people like that so if you let them affect you there will be no time to enjoy the wonderful gift of creativity. Just tell them in a nice way that if they want "made in china" prices they have to buy just that "made in china" stuff made in millions of copies but if they want to be unique it will cost them a little extra. Or you just dont say anything and give them a "are you stupid?" look ;)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:44:44 AM by Karolina.S »
Timr in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 11:02:47 AM »
You've been given some excellent advice already - I cannot add to that.

You'll learn from this - that is to discuss prices and the customer's expectations with them first. And believe me, as the time goes on - you will learn the customers who appreciate your work from those who really should just go Poundland and buy a plastic sculpture made in an overseas factory!

I've been selling my work and my skills for many years now - and I have made EVERY mistake there is when it comes to selling, pricing, taking orders etc. I still make mistakes daily. I've trusted people and had my entire stock stolen, I've taken orders and ended up out of pocket, I've spent too long discussion commissions with non-serious buyers, I've literally done it all.

And it is a good thing  - because it is all part of learning about the selling side of things. Each time we get any knock to our confidence, there is nearly always something valuable we can learn from it.

You've had a chance to work on a lovely project because of this - one that maybe you wouldn't have done. So you have branced out, stretched yourself creatively. It really is too bad the guy didn't appreciate it - but hey, its his loss. You still have your lovely dragon!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 08:40:57 PM »
She's a lovely dragon...and I love her claws :D

Another thought I've just had - think of the extraordinary cost of the whole wedding some people have ....the price of your bride etc will be a drop in the ocean  ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:43:24 PM by Carrie »

salemkat

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 06:42:51 AM »
Thanks everyone you have given me the boost I need.  I took the dragon in for him with the view that if he mentioned about the cost again I was going to tell him that he obviously doesn't really want it.  He didn't say a word and coughed up the money there and then.  He took her out of the box and gave her a good look over, with a smile on his face.  So perhaps he had thought about what he had said and realized he might have been wrong.