EJR Beads

Author Topic: Lawyers tell me ... the image holds more than a 90% resemblance  (Read 2553 times)

Joe Kingthethird

How does someone get this magic number? 90%?
http://petapixel.com/2016/04/22/calvin-klein-stole-idea-cant-anything/

How does this relate to pc designs?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Lawyers tell me ... the image holds more than a 90% resemblance
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 03:09:42 PM »
In all these matters I think truth is the first victim, logic the second. It always seems to come down to who has the biggest chequebook as to who wins.

Copying in our polymer clay world has always been a contentious issue.

It seems to be quite subjective too - what seems like a blatant rip off to some, others will say "oh well I can't really see the resemblence" - and you're left thinking "what? are you for real? you can't see that?"

Those of us who have been claying for decades now, have seen all sorts of techniques come and go attached to first one big name, then some years later - to another as a new generation learn it from a new person and think they were the origin.

Serendipity happens too - lots of people come up with the same idea at the same time. For the first two years I played with clay, I thought I had invented caning! I never realised some others had the same idea to do glass techniques in clay too - some people even had "my" idea to cane with fimo in the 60s, before I was born!

It is a weird subject in the polymer clay world too because for clayers, so very often the design is a direct result of a technique. So you cannot copyright a technique as such, so other people can come out with a very similar look without having intended to copy.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Beadbug

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 11:07:22 PM »
I was a lonely clayer in the early 70's, before the www was available for all and I thought I had developed caning and blending and what is called the Natasha effect. It was years later when I saw the works of the talented artists who took up the clay and ran with it and I was thrilled at their ingenuity and creativity. Ideas have a habit of emerging in different places simultaneously so I don't think we should be surprised when this happens.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 05:34:41 AM »
I was a lonely clayer in the early 70's, before the www was available for all and I thought I had developed caning and blending and what is called the Natasha effect. It was years later when I saw the works of the talented artists who took up the clay and ran with it and I was thrilled at their ingenuity and creativity. Ideas have a habit of emerging in different places simultaneously so I don't think we should be surprised when this happens.

Absolutely!

I too thought I invented caning in the late 80s! It was about 2 years or more before I saw anyone else doing polymer millefiori and I was most pouty about it! Then I found out people had copied my idea  in the 60s, before I was even born!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies