EJR Beads

Author Topic: 2-part silicone for homemade moulds.  (Read 1590 times)

Kirsten

2-part silicone for homemade moulds.
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:19:41 PM »
I bought some Amazing Silicone Mold Putty - and making my own moulds is so much fun.
But the Amazing brand is pretty expensive, imported from the US I suppose - does anyone know of a brand that is just as good and cheaper?

Has any of you tried making putty from caulk and cornstarch? Tonnes of tutorials going around, but I am unsure if it is worth the mess....

Thank you all in advance! :-)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: 2-part silicone for homemade moulds.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:49:57 AM »
Hi Kirsten

The forum rules don't allow for people to recommend particular brands to you (they can Private Message you recommendations though)

But in general, I have found all of the two-part moulding compounds to be quite good and broadly similar. If you google for them, you can find UK supplies that sell in larger quantities that is quite economical.

Just be sure you get the putty type rather than the liquid, pourable types.

Although - the pourable ones can be fun too.

A tip I learned from my older brother, who is into model aircraft - you can build a little trough for making silicone moudls from lego bricks. Just build the little container, use some plastercine or something at the bottom to embed your object into and create a flat surface and pour.

I've not tried using the silicone caulk to make moulds, but why not give it a go? Sometimes a bit of mess can be worth it, especially if you get lots of nice moulds at the end of it!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »
If you're willing to experiment, here's another version using caulk, this time with dish soap (washing up liquid, l imagine) containing glycerine, which looks a LOT less messy than the cornstarch version....would love to know how you get on, if you do try it!  Would be a lot cheaper, anyway  8)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Worlds-easiest-silicone-mold/

Kirsten

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 07:02:08 PM »
Oh sorry Emma, forgot....  :o
But thank you both for the geat tips!  :D

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 11:16:37 AM »
There is a kids modelling toy from Japan that works well for moulding.  Drop it into hot (just boiled) water, lift it out and mould it, then leave it to set.  If unhappy back it goes into hot water.  I first bought mine along with the same 2 part you have, to test items for moulding potential, before wasting the expensive stuff.  Hardly used the 2 part

Further tips:
May need to use more hot water.  I am going to get a cheap saucepan for mine and keep it on a simmer.
Squish it with fingers, then run through PM if you have a thick enough setting, pop back into water.  Can also run embossed card with this through PM.

Kirsten, I will PM you with the brand name   
Ann from Croydon, Surrey