EJR Beads

Author Topic: Embossing heat gun.  (Read 1839 times)

Pollyanna

Embossing heat gun.
« on: April 18, 2016, 09:42:39 PM »
Yesterday I used my heat gun, as I've done many times before, to set Kato liquid clay on some polymer clay beads. I was only about 2 minutes in when it started to smell funny. I looked at the nozzle and it had started to melt!! So I didn't dared to go on.

I have the Darice brand which I bought at a local hobby store over a year ago for a decent price. I now see that you can unscrew the plastic nozzle, under it is the metal "head" where the hot air blows out of. Would that be a bad idea to remove the plastic? I'm thinking that perhaps the hot air would be spreading too wide.

Or should I just go and buy a new one? If so, would it be a good idea to invest in an industrial heat gun from a improvement store or do they get too hot so it ruins my clay projects?

I don't want to get a new Darice since it's obvious it can melt like this, which brand do you recommend?

Thank you all for your help!

monkey ann

• Illuminati
Re: Embossing heat gun.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 12:11:21 AM »
First I suggest you take the heat gun back to where you bought it from and ask them a few questions.  Why did it melt.  Has it happened before.  Is it safe for them to be selling.  Ask loudly enough, you may get a refund.

Is the industrial heat gun the one that is used for stripping paint.  I tried one of these when my kids were young for making Christmas cards using embossing powders.  It got really hot and the kids were kept so far back they hardly joined in.  Not a good idea for PC.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

Pollyanna

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 02:47:23 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

Good idea, I will take it back to Joanns and show them the melted part. They are pretty easy so I'm sure I'll get a full refund even though I don't have the reciept anymore.

I went to Hobby Lobby today, another big craft store close by and bought a new heat gun, different brand (this time I'm saving the reciept just in case) I had a 40% off coupon so it was less than $12, great price. I'm skipping the idea of an industrial heat gun, I'm sure my beads will go up in flames, lol.

Now I can finish my project tonight. My beads are waiting. :)

Gilladian

• My flickr page
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »
Just for future readers - yes, the industrial/home improvement heat guns get SO HOT you can easily scorch your clay in seconds. NOT a good idea at all for clay.