EJR Beads

Author Topic: Beads & Jewellery Gallery Thread - April 2016  (Read 16583 times)

Alan

Re: Beads & Jewellery Gallery Thread - April 2016
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2016, 06:57:30 PM »
I just love polymer clay and working with it and looking at all the amazing things people create with it.  I love every minute I spend with polymer clay, but I really enjoyed making this pendant.  Not being the most imaginative soul alive, it is called 'Flower Garden' (yawn).  It took about ten hours of eye-strain to make, but it was a blast.  I hope you like it. :)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:08:32 PM by Alan »
Alan from wet and windy, but deceptively mild Cumbria, UK.
https://etsy.com/uk/shop/AlanCordiner

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2016, 09:48:59 AM »
For years and years, I have been using light cubes and lighting for my photos

Recently, since moving and having a light-filled conservatory, I thought I would chance my arm at trying to do photos just using the natural light and nothing else.

I was amazed how well my camera liked this set-up actually. I have to generally over-expose it still and bracket the exposure to take a sort of shotgun approach, but by and large the photos are coming out very true colourwise and need little tweaking after.

Harsh shadows can be a problem, so cunning deployment of reflective foil-backed card is needed at times if it is too sunny. Bright but overcast days are great though.

I never would have thought my camera could cope with the natural lighting for macro shots, but it has surprised me yet again.

This camera is one Mr Man and my family clubbed together to buy me well over 10 years ago now and he researched and researched it, to the point of driving me nuts - but have to say he did make a good choice as it is still going. That thing is a little workhorse and must have taken tens of thousands of photos over the years. It's little memory for exactly how many died some time ago and for some reason the camera now believes it is 2001 and nothing will shake it from this fantasy. But this is what happens with old friends, you learn to accept their little ways don't you

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »
Alan - your pendant reminds me of the Orchid house in Kew gardens...

It is lovely - a little world in a pendant

Emma

Alan

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2016, 10:12:50 AM »
Thank you so much, Emma.  An idea for another pendant! I must try and do some proper orchids. Most of the flowers I do are generally just generic - petals and leaves and turn out like daffodansys.  ;D

I've tried using natural light, Emma, and that's what I'm doing now, but with the light box surrounding the subject to cut out direct light.  The strange thing about this house is that it's Victorian and has some large windows, but it is unusually dark - maybe because the rooms are big and the ceilings high.  My camera is an Olympus SP-560UZ.  It's a kind of digital SLR.  It has all kinds of settings and you can change shutter speeds etc., but we've always used it on automatic.  I've never been much of a photographer if it meant any more than just pointing and shooting.  I'm quite happy with the photos on the whole.  I think they are better since having this light box and using a stand for the camera and taking timed shots to avoid camera shake.

Your camera sounds great, Emma!  Your photos on EJR Beads are certainly great. :)  2001?  You should count yourself lucky - I'm still trapped in 1976!  :P

Alan

Alan

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2016, 10:33:16 AM »
Monday's efforts.  Staying with the nature theme.  I love doing all my jewellery, but I really, really love doing this sort of thing.  I know the flowers can't be identified as particular species, but then it's not supposed to be a lesson in botany! ... Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Ha! Ha! ... Besides, I need all the practice I can get.  :o

Bark effect earrings with flowers of the woods ...

'Secret of the Forest' Pendant.  The 'stone' is a 'Dragon's Breath' glass cabochon.  It's not the real gem, but still looks lovely and adds that bit of shine to an otherwise matt pendant.  I thought of using an acryllic wash for the leaves, but it actually looks good as it is in 'real life' and the natural light provides the shading as in real leaves.

Have a great week, peeps! :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2016, 04:50:30 PM »
Very nice indeed, as usual, Alan  :)

Alan

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2016, 11:24:04 PM »
Thank you so much, Carrie. :)

Today's work ...

I LOVE fungi.  I love the colours, shapes and textures of some of the more unusual ones.  They always seem like they should be growing on another planet.  It's no wonder that they feature so much in fantasy art and fairy gardens!  So today, I exorcised my need to sculpt some fungi.  Besides, I have been dying to use that Cernit Neon Green on something like this for ages.  I love that colour.  As usual, the plants aren't exact sculptures of real fungi - although no doubt every one has something very similar to it in nature.  I just researched fungi shapes and colours and did a representation of some of the many, many kinds that exist.

I know it isn't everyone's 'cup of tea', but I love colour and texture and different shapes.  And, while I love some really simple designs, I love anything that is interesting to look at and things where you are always discovering something new in it.  So here is my 'Fungi Frenzy' Pendant. 

And a close up of some of the detail.  Just look at that Neon Green!  Thank you Emma and EJR Beads! :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2016, 08:26:01 AM »
Oh - l love it!  That green....what else could it possibly be used for?! 

Alan

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2016, 10:15:33 AM »
Thank you, Carrie! :)  Ha! Ha!  Yes, that green just screams 'FUNGUS!'  ;D  I think it would look good for succulent plants or as part of a coral reef.  It really is an eye-catching colour.  I got it to do part of a Steampunk journal cover, but haven't got round to doing that yet.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2016, 09:01:38 AM »
Wonderful!

Emma

Joe Kingthethird

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2016, 10:25:21 AM »
Purple professional clay and gold coloured chain close fitting magnetic bangle spiral design.

Alan

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2016, 02:02:55 PM »
Thank you, Emma!  That Cernit neon green makes all the difference - thanks to you and wonderful EJR Beads.  I don't think Sculpey or Fimo do a colour quite like it.  Sculpey pearl bright green is good, but looks positively dull beside this one.  Well done for stocking Cernit.  All I can usually find online from Britain is Sculpey and Fimo - so it's nice seeing something different. :)

Alan

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 02:04:45 PM »
Love purple and love your latest bangle, Joe.  My favourite so far, I think. :-)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2016, 03:22:40 PM »
Love that Joe - very sophisticated. It made me think of Chanel stuff, I guess with the chain and block colouring. Very on trend!

Emma

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 03:26:52 PM »
Thank you, Emma!  That Cernit neon green makes all the difference - thanks to you and wonderful EJR Beads.  I don't think Sculpey or Fimo do a colour quite like it.  Sculpey pearl bright green is good, but looks positively dull beside this one.  Well done for stocking Cernit.  All I can usually find online from Britain is Sculpey and Fimo - so it's nice seeing something different. :)

In ye olden days of polymer, all the brands carried fluorescent colours I think. One by one they all discontinued them except Cernit.

And as for stocking Cernit - well I am glad you are enjoying it. I used to stock other clay brands too, but decided a while back to just focus on one. Given that I found myself reaching more and more for Cernit over anything else, it seemed logical to go with the Cernit really. As to the future - well, never say never - you could find EJR Beads stocking other clays - but for now I am really happy with the Cernit range as it seems the most versatile to me.

If I am honest though, much of it is a nostalgia thing - I find Cernit is so much more like how polymer clays used to be way back when, with really big colour palettes, speciality clays, subtle metallics etc. It also had the best translucent and is super strong when baked so case closed!

Emma