EJR Beads

Author Topic: Liquid clay  (Read 4666 times)

salemkat

• All-sorts Creations & Design
Liquid clay
« on: March 15, 2016, 07:02:14 AM »
Would sculpey liquid clay give me a water like effect?   I haven't used liquid clay before and do not want to buy the wrong thing for the job.
Any advice ?

MilleD

Re: Liquid clay
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:44:09 AM »
The liquid clay isn't completely transparent under most circumstances unless it's really thinly applied.

What is it you are wanting to use it for?

salemkat

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:38:13 AM »
I have an idea of making a trough then some piggies, I want to put something inside the trough to resemble water.
If there something else that you think would work better for that effect please let me know.

Karolina.S

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 01:53:46 PM »
You could use resin.
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:04:56 PM »
Resin is usually used for things like that. Also how thick (deep?) do you need the water to be?

I sell Ranger's Glossy Accents at EJR Beads too, which might work. It is a clear medium that sets hard which you can use over baked polymer clay. The advantage is you don't have to mix two parts together in varying proportions as with resin, with the glossy accents you can just use it from the bottle

https://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_178&products_id=5107

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 04:50:47 PM »
I like Glossy Accents, and it seems fine put on thickly.  Do not touch or move it until you are quite sure it's set though! 

Once or twice l have found it seems to have lost its clarity slightly, but l've added a tiny bit more and it looks like new.  It's pretty hard stuff when set, and very resin-like.

If you get air bubbles putting it in you can drag them to the edge with a toothpick, but in a water trough they probably wouldn't matter anyway  :)

MilleD

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 07:27:36 AM »
Another vote for Glossy Accents.  The surface does seem to scuff easily though so you need to take care with it.  Like Carrie says, adding a bit more over the top shines it up again, but that's no help if your trough is full :)

Alan

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 07:40:53 PM »
Oooh!  That sounds great!  I've put it in me cart.  ;D

I'm going to get some clear resin for making little scenes and dioramas etc. and I quite fancy trying the little Altoid tin fish ponds I've seen.  But the Glossy Accents sounds ideal for things like dew drops as liquid polymer clay just doesn't dry clear enough.  I'm chuffed to hear about that.  8)

Salemkat, I suppose the water in pig troughs wouldn't be that clear so liquid poly would do, but if you want it clear, Gloss Accents sounds just the thing.  As Emma says, clear resin has to be mixed like Araldite glue and unless you were going to do lots of little troughs - or something much bigger - it is expensive and you may be left with a lot of resin you don't need.
Alan from wet and windy, but deceptively mild Cumbria, UK.
https://etsy.com/uk/shop/AlanCordiner

salemkat

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 06:17:07 AM »
Thanks guys and girls.  Will look into the glossy accents, seems like it might be the way to go.
Will let you know how I get on.

salemkat

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 06:35:50 AM »
I purchased and have used some glossy accents.  How longs does it take to dry?  It has been two days now since I added it to my project and it is still cloudy but has a gluey consistency.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 09:29:42 AM »
I am surprised it hasn't dried by now. But drying time will depend on the thickness of the application too - tell us more about how you have used it, what thickness it is etc

Are you using it on baked or unbaked clay?

Is it definitely glossy accents you purchased? Not a liquid polymer clay like Fimo Gel or similar?

Try doing a few small tests on some baked polymer clay of just small squiggles and raised dots and see how long they take to dry. They should set firm certainly within 24 hours. If not, all I can suggest is you contact the seller you bought it from and let them know it isn't working out for you and see what they say.

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

salemkat

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
it is definitely glossy accents I am using it on baked clay in a glass bottle created a small coral reef and stones.  I used it before on small pieces of baked clay to make liquid look in a cauldron and it dried clear just fine.  Perhaps it is just the amount I have used.  lol

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 01:10:41 PM »
I think it is likely to be the thickness  :)

You say it's gluey.......if you've touched it it won't end up smooth and clear  :-\

salemkat

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 09:54:25 AM »
Just thought I would post and say it is slowly becoming clearer.  I can see through it a little bit now :)  there is hope.