EJR Beads

Author Topic: New Area Ills?  (Read 2003 times)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
New Area Ills?
« on: March 10, 2016, 06:10:22 PM »
Totally not clay related - but figured I would ask as you are all a sensible bunch (!) with a great collection of life experience...

So... as most of you know we have moved to a new area - not that far, just about an hour and a half from our old area.

Since moving in, we just haven't been well. Catching this cold and that, this bug and that. I have to say for me, nothing has come on really fully - just constantly under the weather or gippy tummy.

I'd put it down to stress if it were not for the fact my family are getting the same thing.  My parent and brother moved to this area too just before us, a couple of miles from where we are now. They too have been constantly unwell with various things.

Now I am wondering if it is just our immune systems being bombarded with new bugs, but it seems so rediculous - we hardly moved from one side of the globe to the other. Or just bad luck?

I've literally banned my parents from coming over at the moment because every time they visit, they are giving me a new bug or I am giving one to them. Its bonkers.

Have any of you ever experienced this when moving to a new area?

And... what are your favourite immune boosting tips? I'm eating raw garlic, onion  and other superfoods like crazy. I seriously stink! lol

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Karolina.S

Re: New Area Ills?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »
I have but not when moving.
I used to work as a wood craft teacher and as i did not have a permanent position i switched scools a few times and every time i started to work at a new school i got sick. i caught one cold after another and it usually lasted for about three months. As i have Astma that gets worse when i have a cold i was cauhing and caufing until my chest felt like it was exploding with every cough.

So no it is not ridiculos at all. Immune system boosting.... hm ...... garlic maybe :) And vitamin C but i´m really one of those people that is to lazy to bother :)
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »
I've been lucky and not had that. I did think I was allergic to being married when I came out in all sorts of rashes soon after we moved in. Was a new house/build and it seems I was allergic to the plaster dust.

I have also heard of some people having problems with new environments. A friend opposite says she never suffered from hay fever before moving here, but seems to be allergic to the rape in the fields in the summer.

Could it be that you are under the weather/stressed from the move and then with a lower immune system you are catching more colds? Sounds like you are doing the right thing, with garlic - orange and tons of vit C is good too.

Oh just found this online: It is definitely possible that you can become ill simply from moving from one city to another. Moving to a new place exposes you to new and different environments, climates, people, and living situations. These are all likely to be risk factors in causing you to become ill. Aside from that, the simple act of moving can be a very stressful time, which in itself can lead to you have a lowered immune system and have a higher risk of falling ill. The environment may be different, and smog or pollen levels may be higher in certain areas. Your body's reaction to these elements may make you feel ill or be triggering your allergies thereby giving you a feeling of having a head cold. Try to notice when these symptoms are worse and what environment you are at those times, it may be that in certain older dwellings these symptoms are exacerbated. This would be another sign that you are suffering from allergies.

Perhaps when the weather improves you will too. xx

Shelley

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 10:46:52 AM »
I had a short term problem with spots on my face, when I changed from driving into London from Croydon, to travelling on the train.  The beautician I used at the time, said this was a fairly normal reaction and my skin would settle down in a couple of months.  It did.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »
Ah well - I'm not completely mad then!

If it were just me, I wouldn't be surprised as I have immune issues in general anyway and am quite susceptible to bugs. But this is my mum dad and brother in their house and me and Bob in ours - all of us constantly under the weather with one thing or another

I can only hope that Spring does bring us renewed health!

I think stress probably has played a part as both house sales / moves were difficult and other stressful stuff going on.

Here's to a better 2016 anyway!

Emma
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:03:26 PM by ejralph »

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 03:53:32 PM »
Definitely need a happier and healthier 2016!

Shelley

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 06:19:31 PM »
I had a short term problem with spots on my face, when I changed from driving into London from Croydon, to travelling on the train.  The beautician I used at the time, said this was a fairly normal reaction and my skin would settle down in a couple of months.  It did.

How odd - I had a bout of spots come up over the last couple of months too.

Bodies are amazing things aren't they - at times like this, it does just show me all the battles my immune system is fighting every second and mostly winning I guess since I aint dead.

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 09:40:12 PM »
Are you sure that your house does not have problem with mold?

This can cause problems like this. Weak imunne system, spots or rashes in the face also head aches, runny nose and the feeling of being sick, caughing.

We ha a mold problem (fixed now) and we wjere cauhing, feeling ill and i had a rash in my face that didn´t go away. I´m also super allergic to mold and can smell from a mile away. I even have smelled it when specially trained dogs missed it.

Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

MilleD

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 02:42:48 PM »
Get some Echinacea into you.  I know people that swear by it.

Personally I have no opinion one way or the other as cycling to work in the winter seems to stave off most things.

Oh and putting kale in a lot of the meals I cook.

Touch wood of course!  :)