EJR Beads

Author Topic: Additives / mica / impasto gel  (Read 4101 times)

Joe Kingthethird

Additives / mica / impasto gel
« on: March 06, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »
Has anyone experimented with adding mica to polymer clay to make it stronger, not just as a surface decoration?
Impasto gel - made to thicken acrylic paint - cost about 18 a large bottle. Has anyone used this with polymer clay?
I am not sure what the impasto gel is made of, some sort of plastic?
I know about liquid clay but this stuff seems more yogurt like, able to create textures.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Additives / mica / impasto gel
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 03:19:43 PM »
If you add too much mica - or anything similar - it will end up weakening the clay, just as too much flour will make pastry 'shorter'. 

I haven't tried the gel.  If you want to create texture on the surface in a similar way you can squidge* some solid clay and some liquid clay together to create a paste-like substance. 

Here's Nadia Elkina (123Clay!) on her YouTube channel mixing clay and liquid clay - she goes on to use it in a very novel and effective way: 
https://youtu.be/4X9pCeZQxug
You can make the mixture any consistency you need.

* technical term  ;D

MilleD

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:28 PM »
* technical term  ;D

Of course it is   :o   ;D

Gilladian

• My flickr page
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »
I think ANYTHING you add to clay will weaken it overall. Use a strong brand (Kato and Pardo are the strongest I know of, and Cernit isn't far behind) and you'll be fine.

If I want to add texture on top of clay, like frosting or something similar, I have used both liquid/solid clay mixes, and heat-set Genesis paint (can you get that in England?) with good results. The Genesis bonds really strongly, and is great for adding elements (I've used the translucent Genesis thick medium to bond metal to clay and had it last for years).

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 07:54:19 PM »
I keep meaning to try mixing some with the Glossy Accents stuff - another thing on my Round Tuit list

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

BBCrafts

• BeckieBooCrafts
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 01:40:51 AM »
For surface texture I have used the golden matte medium I believe it is. I have left it since september 2013- and its still just fine, so I would say for surface texture try and get a hold of that.
Call Me Becka *Smiley Face*
https://beckieboocrafts.wordpress.com/

Alan

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 05:05:50 AM »
I've added a small amount of mica powder to clay and to varnish and liquid clay.  I think what others have said is right about adding too much to clay though ... in that it weakens, rather than strengthens it.  I've never used Impasto gel. :)
Alan from wet and windy, but deceptively mild Cumbria, UK.
https://etsy.com/uk/shop/AlanCordiner