EJR Beads

Author Topic: clay too soft  (Read 2308 times)

Matt

clay too soft
« on: January 30, 2016, 11:57:43 PM »
Having a bit if trouble with the clay getting to soft, I am finding I've got 3-5 mins before I can't detail (sculpting).
Back in the fridge and another 3 mins out its too soft to handle. Using fimo/ fimo effect at the moment but dont like the plastic look so going to try cenit from Emma in a trans/white mix and paint if i need to, when I get over Xmas. Is there anything you can add to stiffen it up till I use it up?

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
Re: clay too soft
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 10:10:25 AM »
You could try leaching the clay before you start to use it. Roll a sheet of clay and place between a couple of pieces of copy paper for a few mins. This leaches some of the plasticisers out of the clay and makes it stiffer (you should see the paper has slight greasy looking stains on it afterwards). Don't leave for too long or it will go the other way and become crumbly and brittle. You may have to leave for longer but try for just 5 mins or so to start.

Shelley

Matt

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 10:34:58 AM »
Thanks Shelley,  I will give that a go this afternoon.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 02:56:45 PM »
Cernit is quite soft too - and translucent clays are the softest of any colours, whatever the clay range.

But Shelley is right - leaching some of the oil out can help at alot.

Cernit leaches very quickly. You just need to roll the clay into a sheet, sandwich it between some plain paper and wait 5 or 10 mins. Then re-condition the clay well. Re-leach if needed.

The other thing you need to do is minimise the heat the clay is exposed to whilst you work. So keeping your hands as cool as possible helps - washing them in cold water frequently. Handling the clay as little as possible - obvious stuff like that. Cool work surfaces like marble and ceramic are better than plastic or wooden ones. Probably doesn't make MUCH difference in the scale of things, but you never know if collectively these things might buy you another 30 secs, which would be quite a boon I guess given your current time windows!

YOu might also want to post the same question into the sculpture / modelling area of the forum. There could well be some experienced modellers who check that area more than this - and they might have better tips to share

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MilleD

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 04:32:33 PM »
Or get an other half like mine who refuses to let the thermostat go above 17.5 degrees.  Brrrrr.

Matt

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 12:06:39 AM »
I do all my crafts (except drawing) in the garage ,which if its 6c outside will be 0 in at the moment. Come summer it will be 28 out and 40 in. The paper did work a bit, might be just me coming from carving to sculpting.