EJR Beads

Author Topic: poly to wood  (Read 2089 times)

Matt

poly to wood
« on: January 23, 2016, 10:08:18 PM »
Spent many days reading through these very educational forums. As I said in itro I am just starting with poly but have xp in other clays, what is the best way to attach small 1" piecs to wood. I turned a wooden box out of chestnut and made it look like a beehive and would like to add bumble bees to it. It has been coated with shellac which is a sort of sanding primer. Also I made a walnut box which I would like to add a knob to the lid. If I put a screw through,make a knob and then remove from lid reassert screw and bake. Will I be able to remove the screw to refit through the lid after?

MilleD

Re: poly to wood
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 11:16:54 AM »
Do you mean would you be able to remove the screw from the baked polymer?

If so then yes you would :)

Matt

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:22:58 AM »
Thanks MilleD

Matt

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 09:47:38 PM »
First attempt didn't work, Its a round box ( I know contradictin in terms) I can epoxy it but its not going to be solid enough. Tried srewing a screw through the lid and moulding the handle but cant put heat on the lid and cant undo without deforming the handle.then tried from the top and making the lid on the screw head part, taking it back out deforms it. If that makes sense.

MilleD

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 08:23:13 AM »
I'm trying to imagine what you mean.  Do you mean the polymer is being deformed?  If so is it too thin for the task?  polyclay is always slightly flexible so you need enough thickness in it to give it strength.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
You might be best to make the handle, bake it and then screw into the baked clay after.

You can drill baked clay and therefore could turn a screw into it. Maybe drilling a small pilot hole into the baked clay first?

Personally I am not sure I would use a screw. It would help to see pictures of the box and the type of handle you are hoping to make. If you put pictures, you will get a lot more ideas from people

I would also experiment with the idea of just making a metal pin / dowel that you can glue into the box lid and form the handle with a hole to fit on it (or drill said hole after) and then glue the handle into place on the metal pin.

I think ultimately glue and metal pin would be stronger than a screw driven into the clay.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Matt

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 10:09:55 PM »
I will give it a try, I tried a pilot hole (left a cocktail stick in it) but it cracked when adding the screw.

Matt

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 11:43:59 PM »
Not sure if the attachment pic will upload, been trying but having trouble resizie

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
We have to keep the file size limit quite small here otherwise people would fill the server with large photos in no time! But if you have access to some other photo hosting site like flickr or whatever, you can add a picture with the button above the text box, linking to your image there.

I'd need to see the size of the screw and the size of the clay you were screwing into to really get a good idea of why it cracked.

I think maybe some sort of metal pin in the wood that you can then glue the handle onto would be your best bet. That is how I have typically added handles to polyclay pots etc

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies