EJR Beads

Author Topic: New Skills for 2016?  (Read 9364 times)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
New Skills for 2016?
« on: January 16, 2016, 07:05:14 PM »
What do you guys hope to do more of in 2016?

This could relate to polyclay, to your creative persuits more broadly or just life in general?

Clay-wise, I just want to DO MORE of it this year. I have been away from the clay table too long. I made a small start by writing a project for a magazine. This is something I always say I will do more of and then when I do it, remember what damn hard work it is!

I also want to focus more on making finished jewellery this year not just beads.

How about you guys?

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: New Skills for 2016?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »
I'd just like to get motivated again with polyclay!  Each time l've tried to get stuck in recently, whatever l'm doing either doesn't work or gets loads of airbubbles or l go blank  :o

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 11:43:25 AM »
I'd just like to get motivated again with polyclay!  Each time l've tried to get stuck in recently, whatever l'm doing either doesn't work or gets loads of airbubbles or l go blank  :o

I hear ya!

I had the same thing doing the claying for this article recently - nothing would go right and I was starting to think I have just lost any claying skills I ever had. But I think it is a practise thing. If practise makes us get better, it stands to reason we can get out of practise too when we don't touch the clay for a while.

I think the skills come back pretty quickly though.

I think the newer formulation clays are a little less forgiving too. In their efforts to always give us softer, fresher clay, they seem to be over the top now and I find myself having to leach clay before working with it more than I ever did 1- or 15 years ago. Luckly Cernit leaches beautifully in minutes.

I get the same with lampworking though - some days I sit down and nothing goes right and I cannot think of a thing to make. I am trying to be more disciplined and set out with a plan but even that doesn't always work.

I find sticking to old, trusted favourite designs is a good confidence booster on the days when inspiration won't come.

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 12:17:24 PM »
To do more calying again. Been doing a bit to much work by the computer the past few months.

Small and big things that needed to be done. In December i remade my ENTIRE year in book keeping as the program i used wich was not only free but also great got upgraded and all i can say is that if ain´t broken don´t "fix" it. 
After a million emails i gave up and paid for a program but then i hade to remake every single transaction.

So more claying and faster claying. More animals!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:20:20 PM by Karolina.S »
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 04:37:21 PM »
Oh blimey - that sounds an awful lot of work Karolina!

I guess that should be one of my resolutions - do my accounts more frequently too! I used to be very good and do everything monthly, but the last year everything ran away from me a little bit.

No excuses now, I need to get back to work and stop slacking!

I am glad to hear you will be doing more claying - cannot wait to see what you come up with.

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 08:49:24 AM »
:)  It was no fun but it is done! 

I do my books every monday. That works best for me. :)

Oh and maybe i will try to do regular videos to but that will probarly not happen :)

Looking forward to seeing what both of you makes!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »
I have plans a plenty in my head, but it is convincing my body to follow through and actually do it - that is the problem.

I seem to be fighting extreme exhaustion at the moment. I re-started my exercise regime two days ago in the hope that will energise me but instead I have just been SO stiff, been even more useless than usual!

I have a series of earrings that I want to make, that has been in my head for over 3 years now and I really MUST make them this year.

Maybe we should start a support group here, like weight-watchers or something, to help us focus on our claying and crafting goals? lol

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 10:19:53 AM »
That would be something, to have a kick butt support group.  :) 

Oh and i forgot. This year in March i´m arranging the "Nordic Poly Camp"  , the first ever poly gathering in Scandinaivia. People are coming from Sweden, Norway and Denmark to this event :D

I hope it will be a sucess!

http://www.nordicpolycamp.nu/

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 02:53:12 PM »
Wow, Karolina!  It'll be a great success I'm sure  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »
That is fantastic news Karolina - of COURSE it will be a sucess because you are arranging it!

It looks fascinating. Please do keep us informed about everything - the planning and the event itself.  It would be so interesting to know what goes on "behind the scenes" with an event like this as well as seeing how the event itself is on the day.

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 05:23:29 PM »
Thank you both!

I have a fear that i will get the stumach flue and can not attend. That would be a bummer as i am responsibel for everything.

I can´t get it out of my head but just this weekend the kids had the stumach flue and i´m fine. Last time they had it 2 years ago my boy ended up in the hospital for 4 days. And i was fine all this time until he put something in my mouth that he took from his. Nut i did the bussines only once and was fine after that. So what i´m saying is that i don´t seem to get it that easy. Still worry about it.

Most of the planning is done in my head Emma. I found a place to be. Found 3 sponsors. Bought a flight ticket for my self.Paid for the location.
Planned the program but i need to make a schedule with times when stuff will start and end.
I also helped people to find out about where to live if they could not stay at the location.  (like one will bring dog and husband and on location no dogs are allowed)
My dad promised to take the sponsor gifts to his home.
I need to carry the stuff people bought from my shop for the camp so i don´t want to carry the sponsor gifts to.
now i´m thinking about what kind of bag to put the gifts in.

Any suggestions? Paper bags look good..... Hm...

I also realised that it is soon! Been planning this for a year now! So far 16 people are attending. It does not sound like much but claying is still small in scandinaiva. My FB group has only 160 members. I count on the number to go up to 20 in the end.

Just as long as i don´t get the stumach flue!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 09:24:16 PM »
Oh you will be fine I am sure!

We had norovirus early last year at that awful time where we were visiting my dad each day in one hospital then my MIL in another. Actually we all caught it from the first hospital, all my family had it bad.

Me and Bob though we just had a sore throat and stuffy nose and no sickness. I thought we had something different but that weekend MIL came home and we passed it to her, so bad she ended up back in hospital via an ambulance

So why Bob and I had it so mild and no symptoms I don't know. Maybe because we had spent so much time visiting the hospitals over the weeks before we had a immunity to it and could contain the symptoms? Or maybe we had mother syndrome and just had too many people relying on us to allow ourselves to get sick? I don't know. All I know is this- looking after kids with norovirus is a lot easier than looking after old people with it! Man that was a traumatic weekend.

I think you will had no issues because your body knows to hold on. Maybe when you come home, then you will get a cold or something after. But I would be amazed if you got sick before. You're a mum and they are superhuman!

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 11:26:55 PM »
Oh, poor you, don't worry  - it's just nerve-wracking, knowing you're in charge, but you WILL be fine  xxxx

Everyone will be sooo happy to have a get-together and it will run itself!

MilleD

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 07:45:48 AM »
I'd like to become more of a finisher/completer type.  My butterfly brain really is exasperating sometimes, I wish I could stick at something more than 5 minutes.  Maybe I have ADHD...

The end of January is the deadline for self assessment tax returns that both myself and my other half need to do.  As an accountant you'd think I'd have done them before now, but no, because I can't organise myself enough.  {Angry smiley} 

Karolina, I'm sure you will be fine - although a kick butt support group does sound useful :)

Karolina.S

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 06:50:50 PM »
Thank you guys :)

Emma you should start a special group like the one for your tutorial where we can "kick" each others butts ;)