EJR Beads

Author Topic: Oven temp - confuzed  (Read 2148 times)

TaliB

Oven temp - confuzed
« on: December 12, 2015, 12:34:23 PM »
So I've read a lot about curing clay at the proper temp, making sure that you check out what the oven temp actually is, compared to what it says on the dial.......... which I've done.

But my oven (fan), cycles between 110 and 121 after testing with a digital thermometer (at the setting that I've currently got it on for baking my fimo professional, which doesn't seem to me to be as strong after curing as it should be).

My question is, when folks talk about finding out the temp of their oven at a given setting and use that, what do you do about the fact that pretty much all ovens will cycle through the temps mine takes about 3 mins to cycle, and it's a pretty steady movement up and down across the temp range, not holding at any given point in the range for more than 30 secs or so.

So what "temp" out of the range of temps, do you relate as the "temp" that you are baking the clay at?  As in, given that my oven temp range is 110 - 121 am I baking it at 110, or 121 or 115?  The reason I ask is because my clay isn't getting hard, and because on the package for fimo professional it says not to bake above 130 c (which from reading around the subject I believe is because of the risk of fumes/scorching/burning the pieces)..........???

So therefore could I actually put my oven onto a dial setting that gives a temperature reading of 135 at the max and 124 as the mine, and basically I'd be baking at 130? 

I think that using fimo is probably difficult, as it seems to be the most sensitive to heat, and yet have the most precise baking instructions, as it says "bake at 110 and not above 130".  Whereas the other clays seem to be bake at a given range and not above a temp considerably higher than that range...........

Very confuzed any help would be great, ta :)

monkey ann

• Illuminati
Re: Oven temp - confuzed
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 04:44:46 PM »
Try baking some test pieces at different temps and at different levels (if your oven has a choice) and see what gives you the best results.  When we tested our ovens, we used different coloured clay and shapes, to help with keeping a record.

Keep a ceramic tile in your oven, it retains the heat and helps to keep it at a more even temp.  This was tip from Jana Lehmann when she did a workshop for us.

At our group meetings we used to bake different clays at the recommended temps, using a variety of ovens.  With our new ovens we have found that 130 suits all clays (Fimo / Premo / Kato), may only work with some ovens.  The pieces for baking are covered with fibre fill to avoid scorching.  Generally an oven with a fan gives better results.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »
Ann gave some excellent advice there.

I've covered some of this on your other thread, so check my reply there.

What you don't tell us is how long you are baking for and what thickness the clay pieces are that you are baking?

It could be that you are reaching the right temp just fine, but not holding at that temp for long enough maybe?

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

TaliB

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »
Try baking some test pieces at different temps and at different levels (if your oven has a choice) and see what gives you the best results.  When we tested our ovens, we used different coloured clay and shapes, to help with keeping a record.

Keep a ceramic tile in your oven, it retains the heat and helps to keep it at a more even temp.  This was tip from Jana Lehmann when she did a workshop for us.

At our group meetings we used to bake different clays at the recommended temps, using a variety of ovens.  With our new ovens we have found that 130 suits all clays (Fimo / Premo / Kato), may only work with some ovens.  The pieces for baking are covered with fibre fill to avoid scorching.  Generally an oven with a fan gives better results.

Thanks for that, I'll give your tips a try :)

TaliB

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 10:49:23 AM »
Ann gave some excellent advice there.

I've covered some of this on your other thread, so check my reply there.

What you don't tell us is how long you are baking for and what thickness the clay pieces are that you are baking?

It could be that you are reaching the right temp just fine, but not holding at that temp for long enough maybe?

Emma

Emma ta for that, replied in other thread :)