EJR Beads

Author Topic: Can I store sculpey in a fridge?  (Read 2545 times)

Ilenora

• My Gallery
Can I store sculpey in a fridge?
« on: November 21, 2015, 08:03:48 AM »
So it's been a long time since I sculpted anything since all my clay - hundreds of dollars worth (bought wholesale) - went hard and unusable http://www.polyclay.co.uk/index.php/topic,2226.msg41618.html#msg41618... but I'm finally plucking up the courage - and money - to buy some more clay and try again.

My question is exactly what the titles says - can I store this new clay in the fridge? The reason I ask it because I believe the reason for the clay, which was only a few years old, turning ultra-hard is because it was partially baked in the extremely hot summer conditions where I live. So I want to avoid that at all costs for this new clay. Therefore I'm thinking of storing any clay that isn't currently being used in the fridge. We have a big fridge that remains between 2.5-5 degrees celcius. I would keep the clay wrapped up and sealed to avoid any of it coming in contact with food.

I know the clay would be hard coming out of the fridge but it would warm up fast enough in this weather. But I guess I'm wondering if there would be any long term adverse effects? Has anyone done this before? Would the clay definitely soften once it warms up? Since clay bakes hard in heat, I'm hoping that keeping it cold won't also ruin the clay.
Tellurian Creatures - sculptor of fantasy creatures and animals!
My DA Gallery

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Can I store sculpey in a fridge?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:31:47 AM »
I've stored boxes of unused canes in the fridge for months on end and they were fine.

However, I am not sure my fridge was running quite as cold - it was an old, not particular efficient fridge. Also, the canes were made with old Fimo, pre all the major formulation changes a few years ago.

So, not sure if those factors would make any difference or not.

I guess if you have summers so hot that you know your clay stands a chance to be ruined left at room temperature, you have little option but to try storing in the fridge.

Ideally though, the best thing would be to have a dedicated fridge just for the clay and run it as warm as the fridge settings allow.

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 03:11:56 PM »
 No experience l'm afraid, but what about one of those larder-style fridges just designed for drinks?    You wouldn't need to keep it very cold at all.  They aren't expensive here and l daresay in a hot climate they'd be really cheap.   

Also, I'd recommend not buying shed-loads of clay...just in case of disaster!   Plus, fresh clay is definitely nicer to work with, imo   ;)

Karolina.S

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 10:12:46 PM »
I think Boni stores her clay in a fridge.
Timr in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Ilenora

• My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 02:50:43 AM »
Thanks! I'll see about getting a little dedicated bar fridge then.

Also, I'd recommend not buying shed-loads of clay...just in case of disaster!   Plus, fresh clay is definitely nicer to work with, imo   ;)

I make large sculptures, animals and dragons etc, so I need a fair bit of clay to work with and buying clay retail is expensive here in Australia, and I already had a wholesale account with the dealer. The reason all my clay went hard is because I took a hiatus from sculpting for about a year and didn't realise what was happening to it - terrible idea, as it turns out!
Tellurian Creatures - sculptor of fantasy creatures and animals!
My DA Gallery