EJR Beads

Author Topic: We've Moved - and it was the stuff of nightmares!  (Read 3145 times)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
We've Moved - and it was the stuff of nightmares!
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:29:44 PM »
Well guys,

We have finally moved into our new house. Just!

A few days before moving, our buyer's solicitor informs us that our so-called cash buyer spent his cash elsewhere and was actually arranging a loan to buy the house - and this loan hadn't come through so they might not be able to complete on the set day afterall. Then after a few stressful days they were 99 percent sure they would be able to complete and so we  were told to go ahead as normal on moving day.

Only the 1 percent turned out to be the reality. We waited outside the new house all day with our removal lorries loaded up and completion never happened. Lorries went off taking all our stuff into storage and we were officially homeless. Thankfully my mum had just moved in nearby so we had a sofa to kip on and somewhere to house the cats. We went on our gut with our removals firm - even though they were quite expensive and it proved to be a lifesaver - the guys and the boss were all just so lovely and patient and understanding. They all gave it until the very last minute on the day in hope the completion would occur before giving up and driving off with our stuff. I cannot tell you how wonderful they were and if you are anywhere in the South East and moving - you'll do well to book Westons if you want a smooth move.

Finally we completed on the sale the next day, but our movers couldn't bring our stuff until 5 days later. Which meant I was without everything for the best part of a week - no stock, no clothes, not even the log-in details for various accounts / email etc so I couldn't even put my store into holiday mode or let customers know what was going on.

We now have all our stuff back and are finally getting settled. The cats have gone full on neurotic with all the stress and we aren't far behind them!

I guess given the year we'd had, I couldn't expect us to have a smooth moving day. That just wouldn't be in keeping at all, would it!

Anyway, I Hope you are all well and I apologise for being so very absent from the forum so much this year. I know most of us do our online lives on facebook now - but I still like to think of this place as a happy little lounge we can all chill out in and enjoy. So I do hope you will all pop in still and I in turn promise to make it a much more rewarding experience than it has been of late.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: We've Moved - and it was the stuff of nightmares!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
OMG  8)

Well.....you're there at last but ...omg.....

Very very happy for you!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 08:26:54 PM »
Thanks Carrie

It was horrendous on moving day because we had no idea if the money would ever materialise or if the buyer's solicitor was just lying at that point - since various parts of the story had changed here and there over the preceeding days. So even when he said the money was on the move in the afternoon (albeit too late) - we still weren't really sure until it showed up with our solicitor in the morning.

Emma

MilleD

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 08:57:53 PM »
I've had a similar experience in the past which is why I refuse to even look at moving out until completion.

Glad you are sorted though.

Have you got any Feliway for the cats?  I swear by it, the plugins, the sprays, everything.  You can also get something called nutricalm which is a capsule but inside there is powder you can sprinkle on their food.

Can you tell one of my cats is a little neurotic?

:)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 09:35:27 AM »
The cats seem to be settling down in the house now, Sassy was even playing yesterday chasing an old conker he found somewhere all around the place. It is just getting them to explore outside now. Until there we are on lockdown as we don't want the cats going out and getting lost until they have had chance to learn their new area in a controlled way.

It wasn't possible to stay put until completion as it wouldn't allow everyone time to reach the new destination in sussex and unpack. If we were to cause the delays, we would be in breach and liable for the whole chains costs, so we had to proceed as normal so that if any problems did occur, responsibility for them fell to the party who actually caused the delay, ie our buyer not us.

The whole system is absolute awful though - there are so many better ways the whole thing can be done.

Our buyer was supposed to be a cash buyer. In fact we accepted his offer way, way below other offers we had because he looked like the safest bet and had a good reputation for easy purchasing with our estate agent. Turns out so to be the wrong choice as the guy spent the money elsewhere without a care for his obligations to us.

Still - I am just grateful we have moved and left behind that awful house with so many painful and unpleasant memories from the last few years and months. And we've managed to swap that out for a lovely new home full of light and potential

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 02:03:16 PM »
It's water under the bridge now - you're there at last and that's all that matters. 

All the unpleasantness, stress and strain of the last few years will be a dim and distant memory - swept away by the excitement of being somewhere new that you love and all the plans you'll be making for it....oh, l am SO happy for you!!!

MilleD

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:07:27 PM »
Strange situation for your solicitor/conveyancer to allow you to get into.

I love moving into a new house.  I did it every 3 or so years for quite a while but I've been in this one for about 9 years now (not helped by the fact two of my cats are buried in the garden), I would loooove to move again.

Despite your 'excitement' I'm quite envious  :)

Karolina.S

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 12:45:38 PM »

oh, dear. what an adventure.

Congratulations on your new place!

Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »
It's water under the bridge now - you're there at last and that's all that matters. 

All the unpleasantness, stress and strain of the last few years will be a dim and distant memory - swept away by the excitement of being somewhere new that you love and all the plans you'll be making for it....oh, l am SO happy for you!!!

Thanks Carrie!

It does feel a little bit like we are on holiday at the moment, it hasn't really sunk in that it is our home not some holiday cottage!

Emma

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 09:44:13 PM »
Strange situation for your solicitor/conveyancer to allow you to get into.

I love moving into a new house.  I did it every 3 or so years for quite a while but I've been in this one for about 9 years now (not helped by the fact two of my cats are buried in the garden), I would loooove to move again.

Despite your 'excitement' I'm quite envious  :)

It was a very odd situation.

The buyer said they were 75% sure they would complete on time, then it was 99 % sure. So it was awkward. Really they only even said it hoping we would move the completion date and let them off the hook, but we couldn't do that because of our chain. They were just taking the P

In a way had they said they definitely couldnt do that date, it would have been easier as they would basically be admitting they were breaking the contract and we could all put our moving arrangements on hold.

But because they didn't, we were forced really to proceed as normal or we would have been the ones causing the delay. Not really anything our solicitor could do to change it - they have to let it play out. They can only serve notice once they have failed on the contract, nothing they could do before that point.

Apparently this stuff is happening more and more though according to my other solicitor, whereas it used to be unheard of years ago.

Emma

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 09:45:18 PM »

oh, dear. what an adventure.

Congratulations on your new place!

Adventure is the right word! Thanks for your kind wishes Karolina!

Emma