EJR Beads

Author Topic: Attaching polymer clay to glass  (Read 2463 times)

Lizzie86

Attaching polymer clay to glass
« on: November 02, 2015, 09:35:28 AM »
Hi,
I am pretty new to polymer clay. I recently tried to make a Frozen Elsa in a jar for my Niece. After baking it I tried to glue it to the bottom of the jar with a hot glue gun. But it let go. So just wondering how is it best to glue/attach to glass so its long lasting? I don't know if it matters but I use Fimo.

MilleD

Re: Attaching polymer clay to glass
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 02:24:27 PM »
Hi,

Ginger from The Blue Bottle Tree has a fairly comprehensive post on her blog about glues: http://thebluebottletree.com/best-glue-for-polymer-clay/

Lots of other info there too.

I'd probably use GS-hypo cement or a 2 part epoxy.  But it will depend on whether the piece is under any stress as to whether it will hold.

Hope that helps  :)

Lizzie86

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »
Hi MillD

Thank you I will check it out, I don't think its under much stress as its a jar meant to be kept on a shelf. I dont have photo on computer to show unfortunately but its just Elsa in a jar :) I just find that the ho glue gun comes away from the glass :/ I have made other little bits in a jar and tried baking it in the jar and so far seems to hold but I have no idea how long lasting that is.

MilleD

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:53:14 PM »
The hot glue will eventually peel away from the polymer clay too.  It's not a good choice.

2 part epoxy would probably hold if it's protected.   :)