EJR Beads

Author Topic: Could you test/check out my website please?  (Read 3973 times)

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
Could you test/check out my website please?
« on: October 14, 2015, 09:21:25 AM »
Hi all,
I just put my actual, bona fide, newly constructed in Wordpress, website online.

http://jonburgessdesign.com/

It's already out of date, as there a re a few new things that need to go up there but that's the way it will continue to be i am sure however frequently i update.
I just want to know if it works ok, and that there isn't anything missing that you might want to know about, or anything irritating about the way it works with all the slide show galleries. I quite like it, but then I have reservations about it too. . .
Thanks in advance,
Jon

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Could you test/check out my website please?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:23:07 PM »
Liking what l see  :)

I've noticed some extraneous apostrophes, however - a pet niggle of mine  ::)
 For example, in Work-Why section: ".......journey into polymer clay and it’s possibilities." and  "....versatile and elastic in it’s nature that..."

Spellcheck will pick the others up... ;)

Another thing - l found the gold-coloured text a little bit difficult to read on the darkish background though it really does look very good.  Actually, l think it's because of the pattern in the background as much as anything.

The slideshows scroll at a sensible speed and things are beautifully photographed.   l like the photo of jewellery with you waving in the background!  Your 'blurb' is interesting and readable. 

All in all, you've done a really good job l think and it seems a bit of a let-down when we click 'shop' and go to the ultimately underwhelming etsy layout!

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Great slide show of your work on the home page.  Agree with Carrie about the gold writing on the patterned brown background, I just don't bother to read print like this, I find it strains my eyes.  Even the light blue on white on the blog pages bothers me a bit, would prefer a couple of shades darker.  Also felt let down by the shop going straight to Etsy.  Your own backgrounds, colours and patterns, set off your work far better than the stark white of Etsy.  When I saw cuff, I was expecting to see bracelets.

Overall a really good website, when are you going to be available to build one for me.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 04:18:14 PM »
I looked earlier this morning and only now have a chance to feedback.

Earlier, the pages were a little slow to load and at one point wouldn't load at all - but it could just be a blip with your host.

I think overall it looks really fantastic. Really cohesive and gives a great impression. I like the About the Artist page - always nice to see who is speaking and making the items - I have a pet hate of anonymous sites where people never introduce themselves!

I do find the text hard to read also - not so much because of the colours, but because the groovy pattern on your background makes my head go funny and is quite migraine-triggering for me. I can feel it switching my brain in a bad way, so have an instinct  to navigate away quickly. But that is just me and my mad brain probably. I cannot handle a lot of odd things like that.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MilleD

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »
I've only had a quick look - will look in more detail later.

I agree the pages are a little slow to load.

The one thing I did notice is that if you click on some of the main menu headings (as opposed to hovering over it then moving your mouse down to a sub menu), I would expect the sub menu to then show on the next page, but it's just blank.

I'm assuming it's intentional but it's not how I would normally expect a site to work.

It's a small thing but I think this sentence is really long and my brain has forgotten how it started by the time I get to the end "I am interested in impressed and embossed texture, and how to bring my explorations into the world of generative and other random fractal digital images out into the real world as both 2D and 3D elements in my work."  Actually the last sentence in the section has the same effect on me.

Also, your Facebook Twitter and Google plus icons don't seem to do anything.

I quite like the slideshows.  You can override the timing if it's too fast/slow.

I'll let you know if I have anything else.

:)

Karolina.S

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:05 PM »
It looks nice but i agree the text is almost impossible to read. It is the background that makes my eyes go crazy.
Timrå in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 09:23:45 AM »
Great feedback, thanks.

Carrie, totally with you on the apostrophes. 'it's' and 'its' is the one that slips through my guard if I'm not paying attention though. I shall amend.

OK, the background is an issue, I shall knock the pattern back further or perhaps scrap it. I know what you mean about patterns Emma and Karolina, I used to get that with the escalators on the underground, with the stripes/bars on the steps. I had to avoid looking down ;-) and white text on black leaves a strong afterimage too . .

The slow loading is annoying too, it seems to be that the web host makes sure things run quickly when the USA is awake but aren't too bothered otherwise, or that may be my illusion. Slide shows are bit slow to load by their nature too. They preload before they show anything I think.

The drop down menus annoys the heck out of me too. It's the wordpress theme I chose that doesn't let me have a drop down menu without a link that opens a new blank page if you click on the word, so I tied the blank page in with the other pages, style wise and hoped that the viewer would go back to the drop down menu and try again. If I was more code savvy I'm sure i could fix it, but life is too short. If you hover and don't click it's fine, annoyingly.

Thanks MilleD, I forgot the FB links etc, quite important ;-)
And I shall amend that sentence so it makes sense.
MonkeyAnn, You wouldn't want me to build you a website ;-) Though I have made a few for myself n my time, but back before mobile phones etc.

techie digression -
I really want Adobe Muse, but would have to get a new computer to use it, (OSX issues etc) so I am stuck with slow, clunky Wordpress. I loved iWeb, which of course was discontinued by Apple. . . sigh.
I'll make the text a touch clearer.
I would have my own shop, but the SEO would kill me, so Etsy it is. It should open in a new page, so I need to get at the code to change that, at least I can remember how to do that. . .

Sorry to go on, and thanks again. x

Karolina.S

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 12:12:09 PM »
You can have a word press shop called woo commerce.
I use wordpress for my blog and OpenCart for my shops.

In wordpress i installed a plugin that guides me through the whole SEO thing. I learn a lot in the process too. "Yoast SEO" it is called .

Don´t forget to install a Anti spam plugin too or you will be sorry you did not ;)
Timrå in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

MyrtleWeed

• FrisbyCreek Arts
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 03:15:14 PM »
Hi Jon, it all looks good to me, loaded quickly too. The only critiquey type thing I would say is that with the photos on the home page being mainly close ups, it's not always immediately apparent what they are and what you do. I would like to see a still photo like  the one on your artist page to compliment the revolving ones, as I think that particular photo, shows instantly the scope of your work and what JBD is all about.