EJR Beads

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 4449 times)

Brat

Hello!
« on: September 04, 2015, 11:21:51 AM »
Hi everybody! I thought I would introduce myself.
I'm Nicky, and am new to the forum.
I'm a freelance artist with a couple of Etsy shops. I run art groups for young people in my local area. I really got into polymer clay a few years ago following a radial nerve injury/op to my dominant arm. It has been a therapeutic process for me really, and I LOVE IT! Poly clay has been great in getting some of the strength and dexterity back in my fingers!
I am really hooked on the stuff now, and am looking forward to being a member of this forum and engaging with like-minded individuals!
Thanks for having me! x

Saashka

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »
Hi Nicky and welcome! I'm a newbie here too, and new to polymer clay as well. What do you make? Beads? Sculptures? Something else?

Brat

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »
Hi Saashka!
Thanks! I have made some pendants and earrings, and also covered some wooden trinket boxes. Ive dabbled a little with beads, but am hoping to move more in that direction!
What do you make?
Nicky x

MilleD

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Hope you enjoy it here  :)

Saashka

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:14:18 PM »
Pendants and earrings sound like fun. I hope we get to see some of your creations. What sort of beads are you looking to make?

I've only made round beads so far - about 200 or so of them in various sizes. Good for practice. And for realizing that caffeine jitters don't help anything when you're trying to make the bead holes straight and centered, hehe. Oh, and I've made pivot slides and color scales for reference for future projects. Those were fun, too.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 12:03:22 AM »
Hello, Nicky - welcome to the forum!
I hope you'll show us some of the things you make  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum Nicky!

I cannot tell you the number of people I have encountered over the years who first came to polymer clay as a therapy - either for joint and mobility and other physical issues or even the therapeutic qualities for emotional and mental well-being.

And like you, most of us find ourselves pretty hooked on the stuff soon enough!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Karolina.S

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 07:41:36 PM »
Welcome!
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Brat

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »
Thanks for welcoming me! It's so great to be part of such a friendly community! I am hoping to share some of my work at some point Carrie!
The clay is therapeutic in more ways than one, both for the hand therapy aspect, and also the relaxation it allows me! It does take me a while to condition my clay on a bad day, so am hoping to pick up some helpful pointers!
Emma, I have a batch of beads in the oven made with your tutorial! It's my first attempt at the Illuminaire technique, so fingers crossed they will look ok once they're finished!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 06:17:19 AM »
Ooh how exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Conditioning clay can be a pain. Pasta machines can help do most of the work but clays like Cernit like to be handled a bit too as hand heat brings the clay to life more quickly.

If you are in production mode, small food processors can be a good investment. You can chop the clay into small chunks and quickly blast it into a cottage cheese consistency which is then easy to condition further by hand or pasta machine.

Only downside to processors is the plastic bowl doesn't like the oil in the clay and will cloud and craze pretty quickly. So they have to be dedicated to clay use and cannot be used for food after.

Emma

Brat

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »
These are my first attempt... I'm going to have another attempt today and hopefully improve as I go!
Ill definitely look into the food processor to help with conditioning!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »
Those look like they have come out brilliantly - photo is a little small for me to see in detail, but they look great from here! I love the colours you have used as well

Emma

Brat

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 03:45:10 PM »
Thanks Emma!
I may have overdone the stamping, but have learnt so much making them! My second attempt are going to be slightly larger! X

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 04:37:41 PM »
That's the key with these beads - like anything I guess - practise makes perfect. There is a lot to learn and many different steps, but it looks like you very much hit the ground running with these. Can't wait to see your next ones!

Emma

Brat

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 07:51:11 PM »
Thanks Emma, I still have a way to go, but these are my second attempt, minus the ink, and a little larger! I made a millefiori cane for the adornment too. Not perfect but I prefer them to the first ones! I do have a question, but will post it in the Illuminare section :) x