EJR Beads

Author Topic: New obsession  (Read 3071 times)

MilleD

New obsession
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:43:59 AM »
Myself and my three sisters went to see an Abba tribute at Trentham Estate at the beginning of August, and on the way to the amphitheatre we walked past one of the 'Trentham Fairies'.

She is about 4 foot tall but stands on a plinth so she towers over your head and is absolutely amazing.

This is a photo off her creators site before she was put in situ:

https://www.facebook.com/Fantasywire/photos/pb.135514166545570.-2207520000.1439447896./565997636830552/?type=3&theater

Anyway, my eldest sister is convinced that because I work with wire - I can make one  :o  Obviously not on the same scale, but maybe the dandelion at least.

So I have ordered one of Fantasy Wires DIY kits where you make one on a small scale, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the skills to do this but I'll have a go. 

Anyway, thought I would share as it's sort of crafty but definitely not polymer  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: New obsession
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 09:48:12 AM »
What an amazing sculpture.

I am sure you'll be able to create something wonderful with wire - after all, you have creativity in bucket-loads, the materials to hand AND a rough idea of what you want to end up with. So it should just be a fun journey of trial and error until you get the exact look you are after.

But... make sure to keep us updated as it sounds a very fun project. I know we are a clay forum, but we all love other crafts too, don't we.

However... once you've done that, I can really see combining polyclay and the wire somehow to take it all in a new direction too.  Afterall, what is a wire sculpture but a perfect polyclay project armature?  :D

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MilleD

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:29:04 PM by MilleD »

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
Arent they wonderful.

I love to see well-placed art improve places.

Sometimes art, modern especially, is criticised as ruining an enviroment - and often I agree. Too many times I look at some installation and think "why did they bother?"

But when it is the right peice for the right spot it really creates a magical vibe. For example, Gormley's piece in the crypt at Winchester Cathedral absolutely lifts my soul each time I see it - especially if the crypt is flooded. Or the little Emin brass baby shoes too. Just two examples that sprung to the top of my head.

I'll have to seek out some of this artists work too,

Emma

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:41:34 PM »
There's a Tracy Emin among other widely varying artworks at Snape Maltings near here.  Honestly, l really wonder why she bothered - all it is is a tall metal post with a not terribly good but aiming to be realistic life-size small bird on top.  The post on its own would be better then real birds could have sat on it!

I love the dandelion puffs! 

Suze

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »
Wow they are amazing...absolutely love the dandelion cant wait to see what you do 😉X

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »
That dandelion sculpture is - wonderful!

Carrie, no I don't like any of Tracy Emin's stuff either - despite my favourite tutor at uni being a good friend of hers... basically I still think she's rubbish.
FranOnTheEdge

MilleD

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »
Isn't it? 

The package has come for me to make a small one but I'm a bit scared !!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 10:37:45 AM »
Ah get stuck in!

What's the worst that can happen?

Emma  :)