EJR Beads

Author Topic: Manky Beads  (Read 6749 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Re: Manky Beads
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 08:56:09 AM »
Carrie,
Yeah...
That was probably it.  I don't know why I got it into my head that it was Darkening Patina.
I've used the "paint-on-black-acrylic-then-wipe-it-off-quick" method before on other things, tinfoil mostly.
If I'd remembered where I saw the picture of the copper bead with darkness in the crevices, I could have found out the how before trying the Darkening Patina.  I've seen what a mess it can make of other copper painted items before, since I did use it at the workshop, must have done, we were encouraged to try everything, but I didn't take enough pics, like a pic for every different thing I did - having too much fun playing I expect!

Karolina. S,
Yup 'Manky' means yuk, and in this case; "looks as if something furry is growing on it..." as well.
I mean as it's patina working on real metal I guess I shouldn't complain too much, it just means I've got to make the beads again and try black acrylic in the crevices instead, before I get the look I wanted... oh well, then I'll have "copper with dark deffinition" and "copper with manky" as well!  Lol!

JonB,
Pity it wasn't you, I really thought it was. These aren't metal beads by the way, they are still polymer clay - they've just been painted with metal paint, to LOOK like metal beads.

That makes me think actually; If I'm going to use black acrylic... I might just make a lot more beads so as to have some to paint with non Swellegant metal paints, thus saving money (swellegant isn't exactly cheap although it's not too madly expensive) but copper coloured acrylic will be a lot cheaper. Hmmm yes. I think so.
FranOnTheEdge

Alan

Re: Manky Beads
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 06:43:23 PM »
You've probably got this sorted out, Fran, by now.

The way Carrie mentioned and how you've done it before is the way to go.  But another method is to make a very dilute wash of the darker colour.  If you use a very fine-tipped brush and just touch where the depressions are that you want to colour, the thin paint should just flow with capillary action into the depressed areas and flood them.  I've never seen this done on jewellery, but plastic model makers do it on very fine, shallow panel lines.  Doing it this way means that the paint just goes where you want it - if you aren't sure what effect it would have on your finish. :-) 
Alan from wet and windy, but deceptively mild Cumbria, UK.
https://etsy.com/uk/shop/AlanCordiner