EJR Beads

Author Topic: Clear Kato Liquid Polyclay, Not clear at all?  (Read 3702 times)

LdyMox

Clear Kato Liquid Polyclay, Not clear at all?
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »
I have been getting into trying the liquid polymer clays and been doing research, and I got each kind. I got Fimo, Kato and Scultpey. From what my research told me was that was from clearest to non clear after baking it should go : Fimo, Kato and then Scultpey. Fimo and Scultpey liquid performs as expected with Fimo being clearer and Translucent Scultpey being, well translucent at best. The Kato polyclay I got does not perform anything like I expected and I tried cooking thin playing card sheets up at various of the recommended temperatures and times. This stuff is not clear at ALL, might be even worst then the Scultpey TLS. I know that all of the liquid clays will not be clear if you bake them thick, but I was hoping even a playing card thickness out of this stuff before it just was mostly white with the slightest translucency at best.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just me?

This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Kato-Liquid-Polyclay-Oz-clear/dp/B00GGZOICE

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Clear Kato Liquid Polyclay, Not clear at all?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »
Kato liquid clay won't be clear from the oven, but needs to be blasted (carefully!) with a craft heat gun.  It will become crystal clear, but more than one thin coat is recommended rather than one thick one.  I think you can also coat eg a bead and just use the heat gun to clarify it without using the oven at all.  Debbie Crothers uses it to get a glass-like finish
https://www.flickr.com/photos/debbiecrothers/19329349319/in/photostream/

Sculpey won't go clear, but I believe Fimo can do.

Hope that helps!

LdyMox

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 04:43:45 PM »
I tried putting it under a ranger heat embossing gun and it didn't seem to get any better, but this was a playing card thick layer. I have not tried to put a thin layer on and just blast it with the heatgun, I suppose that is something to try.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 04:59:33 PM »
A playing card is quite thick....l think you need to brush a very thin layer on.

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:07:08 AM »
I second the 'blast it with a heat gun' thing with Kato clear, but watch it doesn't bubble up or burn. You will see it go all clear and shiny as you go.

LdyMox

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 03:18:42 PM »
I got around to trying to use it as a glaze and it worked great. I just rubbed some on with my finger and then heatblasted it for a for a few minutes till it went clear and looked great as it seems it geenerally made itself level and shiny. Not what I bought it for, but I am pleased with the results anyways.

Gilladian

• My flickr page
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »
I find that the easiest and most successful way to get Kato to go glass-clear and shiny is to apply it to my (Kato) clay, bake as normal, remove from the oven while still quite warm (be careful, as the clay will be soft and can tear), and blast immediately with the heat gun (I put it on a tile and hold the tile while I work). You will not have to heat for as long, there's less chance of burning, and you'll be sure everything has cured properly.

You know it has "gone clear" when you see the piece turn "wet-looking" and you get a puff of vapor rising - and you can really smell the plasticizer! I'm sure it isn't toxic, but I still like to work in a well-ventilated room.

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »
Kato smells nastier than other brands I think. Especially when burning . . . I try and blast it with the heat gun outside, weather permitting. In fact, I put my halogen oven outside my studio door, in the garden whenever feasible when baking any kind of poly clay, as the smell is not all that nice to have in the room. And I suspect it gives me headaches.