EJR Beads

Author Topic: Matt Varnish Problems; What do you use?  (Read 2766 times)

Vivi

Matt Varnish Problems; What do you use?
« on: July 20, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »
I previously used Winsor & Newton Matt Varnish on my clay which was completely and utterly matt (which is what I want) but recently ran out. I had had that particular bottle for a couple of years, but assumed their formula would be the same. Until I could get to a craft store that sold it (a few miles away) I went to my local craft store and bought Duraclear Matte Polyurethane Varnish to use in the meantime.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the Duraclear stuff isn't matt at all! It's shiny, in fact! I got the Winsor & Newton stuff finally a couple of days ago and used it today. To my horror, it isn't matt either! It had a lemony scent before but now smells like window cleaner, and leaves my pieces with a wet look even after they've dried completely. It's incredibly frustrating. It was perfect before!

Before I waste any more money, does anyone have any suggestions for a truly matt varnish?

Karolina.S

Re: Matt Varnish Problems; What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:49:12 PM »
If you want it matte, could you not just skip the varnish ? Or have you used any powders that needs to be sealed?
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Vivi

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:12:04 PM »
Yes, mica powders and acrylic paints. :)

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:49:13 AM »
How about (I think in the UK) Klear?   It might not be a genuine Matt, but is not shiny with the first coat.  And, Renaissance Wax?  Just my humble opinion about a couple of things I know not much about, but I have tried both.

Hugs, Boni in beautiful Gold Canyon, Arizona

Vivi

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:10:54 PM »
I'll look into those Boni, thank you! :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
Klear is good as a sealer though you need to apply it thinly - a finger is good.  It can disturb the mica powder a bit though, so you need to have burnished it well into the surface before baking.  Acrylic paint shouldn't really need anything - as far as l know!

I don't think Ren Wax would be sufficient for sealing mica powder if the piece is likely to be handled a lot but l'm not too sure  ???