EJR Beads

Author Topic: Inka gold vs gilders paste vs rub n buff  (Read 6993 times)

bronzewolf

Inka gold vs gilders paste vs rub n buff
« on: July 09, 2015, 01:19:53 PM »
Which one do you prefer and why? Are they much of muchness?

MilleD

Re: Inka gold vs gilders paste vs rub n buff
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:58:48 PM »
Hi, I only use Inka Gold so can't give you a comparison but just wanted to say welcome to the forum :)

bronzewolf

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 02:38:53 PM »
Thank you

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »
Inka gold is technically a waterbased paint, although it can behave very much like a wax. When applied thickly, it can be rubbed with a cloth to create a very smooth, almost waxy surface. You can take some from the pot and allow it to dry until it is almost a hard putty and just apply it with your fingertip to highlight textures, like the guilders wax type products.  But watered down it behaves more like a liquid paint and the brushes clean out very easily with water. I actually find inka gold paints endlessly fascinating for some reason and very versatile. They work beautifully over polymer clay, can be used for the crackle technique too (see my tutorial - http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/inkagoldproject.htm )

Guilders paste and rub and buff are, I believe, both solvent based instead. I find them less versatile. But... I don't have vast experience with them to be honest, only having used them here and there to highlight textures.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

bronzewolf

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 10:57:07 PM »
thank you... ive bought a couple of gilders paste to try out.... i dont want my work to look too shiny and they have quite a few colours for metals

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 12:00:13 AM »
I have some guilders pastes but haven't used them as much as my lnkaGold, which l love.  From my very limited experience the latter is very much shinier than the guilders paste.  I use lnkaGold on both raw and baked clay. 

Gilladian

• My flickr page
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 03:22:05 AM »
Y'all may find this article useful: http://thebluebottletree.com/metallic-effect-on-polymer-clay/

Ginger goes over the differences in a number of types of "metallic" surface treatments, including gilder's paste and inka gold. She also demos pearl-ex mica powders, rub-n-buff, acrylic paint, etc...