EJR Beads

Author Topic: New project- Aboriginal playing didgeridoo  (Read 4483 times)

Teeth2faces

New project- Aboriginal playing didgeridoo
« on: June 21, 2015, 10:42:42 AM »
I've just started this piece and it's my biggest to date - I may even be running before I can walk!
He's being made in Sculpey Living Doll which is unbelievably soft.
I'm having problems putting images up from Flickr and Photobucket ( maybe an IPad issue) so rather than emailing reduced size images to myself then adding attachments to this post, I'm including a link to Flickr. Hope this is acceptable and works! Will add to the album as work progresses and hopefully sort out how to post images here in future.

Edit:
Can't even post the link, so anyone wanting to see images will need to use the link beneath the post and find the " Aboriginal " album.....sorry...this is doing my head in more than the clay is!!!!

Teeth2faces

Re: New project- Aboriginal playing didgeridoo
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 06:00:22 PM »
Done it!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 06:03:39 PM by Teeth2faces »

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 05:14:57 AM »
I must tell you a story.  A few years ago, 4 of us (2  couples) were camped on the Arizona desert near Quartzsite, Az., the rock and gem capitol of the world.  It was evening, before dark, and out of no where comes a man with a long, curvy 'pipe'.   After some conversation, him telling us about traveling to Australia to study with the Aboriginies about building and playing the derigidoo, he played several 'tunes' on his derigidoo-awesome all!

And, then he disappeared back into the desert.  A good time was had by all. And, I knew what a derigidoo is.  And, I have a wonderful memory of the man and his horn appearing out of the desert with his fabulous horn.  Just thought I'd share.

Hugs, Boni in the Arizona desert.

JamesTheSculptor

• The Thoughts of James the Person
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 03:18:32 PM »
Oh yes yes loving this very much. Can't wait to see more!

Teeth2faces

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 06:27:36 PM »
I just hope the end result is how I envisage it, JamesTheSculptor! There are a few things that I initially didn't think about.... for example the lighter flesh tone on the palms and soles, the finger and toe nails cannot be the same clay as the body. Little things that whilst fiddley present a challenge! All I need is the time to do it!

Karolina.S

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 07:27:56 PM »
He looks good. :)
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 08:53:32 AM »
I just hope the end result is how I envisage it, JamesTheSculptor! There are a few things that I initially didn't think about.... for example the lighter flesh tone on the palms and soles, the finger and toe nails cannot be the same clay as the body. Little things that whilst fiddley present a challenge! All I need is the time to do it!

I do that all the time, get excited about a project, then as I make it discover all of these things I didn't initially think about. But its good, they challenge you.
I'd suggest sculpting the palms and soles etc in the flesh tone you're already working in, then lightly dry brush them with lighter flesh colour with paint or even something like pastel powder. Could work very nicely. Keeps things subtle.
Not having the time to do it is good too, it means you don't rush into things!

Teeth2faces

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 12:18:19 PM »
Chalk pastels! Brilliant idea, would make things far easier, more precise and subtle as you say.  I shall certainly give it a go. Thanks for that!

Teeth2faces

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
Here are the armatures for legs/feet and arms/hands. I intend to initially make and bake the hands and feet then finish the arms and legs. The upper and lower limbs will be made on a baked core then finished when the limbs have been posed, the legs crossed and the arms holding the didgeridoo to the mouth.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:56:56 PM by Teeth2faces »

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 02:10:00 PM »
looking very good.
How to you intend on attaching the limbs to the body? Is the body already baked/cured? Or will you be skewering them into the hardened clay?

Karolina.S

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 03:01:06 PM »
I just drill a hole and push the wire into the stumps and then cover with clay :)

He is looking good!
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Teeth2faces

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »
Exactly, luckily in my job I have access to fine drills! I'll also drill a small hole between his lips and insert a piece of brass rod to help support the didgeridoo. Hope to start the hands later tho this hot weather isn't going to help!

MyrtleWeed

• FrisbyCreek Arts
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 12:29:42 AM »
It's exciting to see a work in progress, the figure is looking great and i love the lizard in the digeridoo. Looking forward to seeing it when it's all finished.

Boni,that's a lovely story, sounds like a beautiful magical evening you had in the Arizona twilight.

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 05:20:19 AM »
Yes, it was magical.  Quartzsite is one of those places I just feel so comfortable, and it is because of things like this that make it special.  I love camping in the desert, although a little toasty this time of year.  Fall is coming!

Hugs, Boni  8)  in toasty Yuma, Arizona (60 miles south of my beloved Quartzsite, Arizona)

Teeth2faces

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »
So, I've finally found some time to do something...the first hand.
After nearly four hours I've ended up with something resembling E.T.s fingers! This is so hard. Lots more to do to it and there's another to do and the feet too. This is going to be one loooong project!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:58:54 PM by Teeth2faces »