EJR Beads

Author Topic: After baking?  (Read 2491 times)

Suze

After baking?
« on: August 10, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »
Hi, this is my first post as totally new to PC. I have tried it once recently and made several small jewellery shapes  and they seemed to bake ok, but when cooled were hard, but slightly bendy.  Is this how it should be or have I not baked them enough. I baked at 130 for 15mins.

Thanks  :) x

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: After baking?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 07:54:45 PM »
Hi - most makes of polymer clay can be a bit bendy after baking.
Sculpey is a bit weak, but Fimo, Premo and Cerrnit will all give a bit and not break if completely cured.

I recommend that you bake longer than 15 minutes - at least half an hour (after 130 is reached) but longer does no harm and ensures that thicker things are properly cured all the way through.

Suze

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
Hi Carrie, thanks for the welcome and for the advice. I used Premo, so it sounds like I did not bake it long enough, will try again  ;) ..appreciate your help, will let you know how I get on x

Ps just looked at your photo's ...wow! ..you are very talented.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:52:32 PM »
Goodness - thank you!  Just lots of practise over a few years  :)

Premo will stay quite bendy if it's fairly thin.  One thing you can do if you're baking something flat is bake a scrap piece of the same thickness as your project in with the pieces then after it's properly cold test it for strength etc .....if it's not strong enough bake your project pieces again....multiple bakings won't hurt at all  ;)

Suze

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:29:27 PM »
Thats a great tip thanks for that Carrie x

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 11:46:30 AM »
I bake both Premo and SuperSculpey for from 1/2 an hour if really thin, up to a hour or more if much thicker. Long baking doesn't seem to hurt it, but you need a thermometer to be sure at what temperature your oven really is - mine is 5 degrees lower than it says it is. So I bake at 135 degrees on my oven dial instead of at 130 degrees as the packs recommend.

And this is according to an email reply from Polyform when my MouldMaker clay was going too hard only a month after baking. (It should stay flexible).

So I do all baking 5 degrees hotter now. And I use a clay thermometer.
FranOnTheEdge

Suze

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 07:42:57 PM »
Many thanks Fran :-) ...obviously didnt bake long enough x