EJR Beads

Author Topic: Weird White Spots  (Read 3051 times)

CupCakeLuna

Weird White Spots
« on: June 21, 2015, 02:24:50 AM »
I molded a baby from PREMO Ecru
I baked it for 1 hour at 275

But after baking it, it was full of weird white spots inside and through out the piece.
Why did this happen? Any ideas what I did wrong?

I was so happy with the piece before I baked it too (yellow blanket pic)  : (

Any advice?
TIA!!!

Bonipie

• Boni
Re: Weird White Spots
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 03:55:52 AM »
Hi, CupCakeLuna,   ;D

Beautiful little baby.  The white spots look definitely like plaque.  I may not give you the most technical information (like, what causes it), but your clay probably has a lot of translucency to it.  I generally like plaque-it gives my beads another 'element'.  However, they  wouldn't be as welcome in your darling baby.  So, although I have identified it, I use Kato clay, so can't really help you minimize it in Premo.  I'm sure others might have some suggestions.

Welcome.  Hugs, Boni  8) in Hot, Sunny Yuma, Arizona where it has been 110-115 deg F for a week, and probably will continue for another week $$$$$$.

CupCakeLuna

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 05:50:08 AM »
Oh thank you so much!!! I couldn't find anything on google!

WOW!! And I was complaining yesterday about our 90 something degrees!   ;D 

lol!

Thanks again!!!

Karolina.S

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:00:03 AM »
Yes, what Boni said :)

But i believe that is not Premo Ecru... Maybe beige? Or did you mix it with transclucent?

Maybe others have some advice for you on the subject.

Very cute baby :)
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

CupCakeLuna

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 02:22:33 PM »
Thanks! I used a mold.  :)
  I think I could've mixed ecru with beige or used beige now that you mention it. My kids sit with me and make things while I do and open up all the colors! Lol

I didn't mix with translucent tho that I'm sure of

I also forgot to mention that I froze the baby inside the mold so that it would come out without deforming and now that I know what it's called "plaquing" I found something online that said that it could be moisture.
So later today I'm going to try again! Drying it off before I bake it

Thanks a million!!

Gilladian

• My flickr page
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 02:51:23 PM »
Plaquing is one of those unsolved mysteries of clay. Yes, moisture is believed by many to be part of the problem. Or maybe minute air bubbles. Or both, or neither. They are usually more prevalent in clay that is mixed and handled a lot. So when you blend two colors that have a lot of translucent in them together, you may be trapping air and/or moisture between the layers, and causing the plaques to form. Solutions that might help you: condition less, blend less, and work on less humid days. Freezing the clay may well cause condensation, which could increase plaque formation, too. Also, try mixing a small amount of an opaque color into your beige skin color to help reduce the translucency a little, and at least partly mask the plaques.

CupCakeLuna

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 03:32:21 AM »
Yes I did all those things   :-[

Jajajjajajajaja

Now I know what I shouldn't do!

Thank you!

By Lara Craft

• www.bylaracraft.com
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 07:58:23 AM »
I had the same problem once in the past so I'm happy to read more about the solution.
Just to say your baby is beautiful, it's a shame those weird spots appeared! I hope you'll find a way to hide them.
Craft enthusiast since 2014 and geek since always. #PolymerClay #NeedleFelting
www.bylaracraft.com

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »
You'll find all sorts of suggestions as to the cause of this plaquing, but nothing has been determined as the true cause, from moisture, to over or under conditioning, too hot, too cold... lots of beliefs on this, but nothing confirmed or proved.  And that lovely little baby looks exactly like my Super Sculpey does, on all my models made with that clay.  So I never model with that clay intending to leave it bare, I ALWAYS paint it.

There are some (very serious) sculpting sites (can't remember which ones) which talk about the best clays for this or that, and there are some clays that are less likely to produce this plaquing than others.
I do heads and faces quite a lot, but because of this issue, I now always paint them - usually with metal paint so that they look made of metal, but some I paint more naturalistically. (going to try that with a recent turtle, I may have to paint over it with metal though. Lol!)

Both Premo and Super Sculpey are made by Polyform, you might have better luck with the plaquing if you try another brand, I think Fimo do a doll clay, called Fimo Puppen Porcelain.
And maybe Pardo does one?
I know that Cernit does one - and Emma sells Cernit at www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - not sure if she has a doll clay in stock but ask her.

Good luck with this. Love that baby.
FranOnTheEdge