EJR Beads

Author Topic: Undrilled?  (Read 4563 times)

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
Undrilled?
« on: June 20, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »
I made these organic textury rustic beads and was thinking about selling them just as they are rather than drilling a hole down the middle or through the top etc. It gives people complete choice about what they decide to use them for if I don't drill holes, but it also feels like a bit of a cop out. I made them without a purpose in mind and that might be a bit of a cop out in itself, waiting for somebody else to make a decision about them for me ? They are about an inch long.
What do you think?

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Undrilled?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 09:12:18 PM »
Nice.

Perhaps you should invite the purchaser to tell you how they'd like them drilled, if at all.   I daresay most buyers wouldn't have the necessary drills to do them.    They might want an eye-pin inserted in one end, vertically drilled, front to back or even side to side near the top....offering them like this and suggesting drilling options seems like a bonus  :)

Also, offering them undrilled atm means they could be wire-wrapped or something like that, which is good.   

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 09:54:06 PM »
I'm with Carrie on this one - offer to do the drilling yourself to their chosen orientation.

The idea as it stands, touted here between intelligent minds is perfectly sound. One might even say bordering on genius.

Trouble is, you haven't factored in "punter" mentality. And the average buyer doesn't read things - they assume things.

So they will assume there are holes. They won't really "get it" and many will be afraid to make their own holes. Just my honest opinion. Buyers can be dozy sods at times. I know - I turn into an equally dozy sod when I start shopping online.  ::)

But if you are selling on Etsy, you can modify the listing to include options and you could then offer several different piercing options for the customer that they have to choose from - horizontally at top, horizontally through middle, lengthways, un-drilled for your own wrapping. Etc etc

Then, when they see the option drop down menu, that more or less forces them to read the listing to see what you're on about!

But I think selling them with a view that THEY would do the drilling would narrow your customer base down considerably for that product. Despite it being actually a very logical idea.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Sylvia

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 12:21:54 AM »
Could you knock up some in scrap clay, just the basic shape, then drill them in all the options you can offer?  Sometimes people need to see what you mean.  (Put a bit of wire through the hole so it's really clear)
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

JonB

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 09:06:34 AM »
Thanks folks,
I think you are right, Emma, options are scary or offputting sometimes, though logical. And I agree, people don't read. . .
Wanting to be all things to all men is probably not the best approach, and is partly laziness on my part. If i can't make a decision, how can I expect anyone else to? The consensus on FB, (I asked on the creative bead chat group) by an overwhelming majority is for a hole drilled lengthwise.
I can always make some more and drill across like carrie suggested.
So I shall spark up me bosch and get drilling.
Incidentally, I find that drilling using a power driver is much better than a power drill, as you can vary the speed and go very slowly as and when needed. You can't go very fast, but as I drill stuff while holding it in my fingers, (very carefully, obviously) I certainly don't want to take that risk.
just one more thing - When is a 'bead' not a bead but a 'charm'? I have the impression that if a 'bead' has a hole at the top. or a bail/loop, it gets called a 'charm' quite often. Is there a hard and fast rule?

MilleD

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »
I always think of charms as something that is removable and interchangeable, whereas a bead is something that is fixed in place in the design.

Unfortunately those items could look identical  :)

For me, these are beads.

HTH  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 10:20:16 AM »
interesting question!

I think of a charm as something you attach with a jumpring or has its own integral loop. Something that dangles and yes, often removable and changeable,

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

MilleD

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »
Charms used to always be like that didn't they, something that dangled, then along came Pandora/Troll/Chamelia - are they charms, are they beads?

So maybe the distinction has become blurred over time.

:)

JonB

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 07:59:45 AM »
Re beads v charms - I tend to put both in tags on my etsy items just in case. I prefer to call them beads.

I drilled the beads in question, and messed up a couple of them, so lesson learned, I will make at least a guide hole before baking. Ginger at Blue bottle tree had a post about bead piercing and recommended those metal ones as they didn't distort the clay in her experiments. I'll get some. I need to revisit my method for those beads anyway so I will call the first ones an experiment that didn't quite come off.

MilleD

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 08:09:24 AM »
I just use a small drill bit held in a pin vice.  No danger of something happening that I didn't intend, start small and go up through the sizes if I need a bigger hole.

I go nearly all the way through then in from the other side.  The same way I'd make a hole when raw with a cocktail stick.

Bead pins that I think Ginger was talking about (I only glanced at the FB post) I just push all the way through as they are so thin.

:)

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 04:29:36 AM »
Hi,
I know you can't always know ahead of time where your holes should be, but often you know.  As often as possible (which is nearly always), I know where my bead hole is going and I put at least a pilot hole in the bead before baking.  I have really kicked myself around the block for not predrilling before baking.  But, I have never felt bad because I predrilled.  It can just be the tiniest hole, but it will keep your drill from wandering during drilling after the bead is baked.

Also, I really like the hole entrance that is made when you make a hole in unbaked clay.  So, I make the hole from one end, then just as the drill (or, my favorite toothpick) touches the other end, I flip the bead and enter the bead with my 'piercer', and complete the hole.  This gives me the nice entrance on both ends of the hole.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Not Quite as Hot Yuma, Arizona

JonB

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 08:11:14 AM »
Good point Boni, thanks.
I made a few more yesterday with holes first. Mind you, I had to texture the raw clay with the toothpick in place, then take it out after baking. (before it cooled down, they get stuck fast once the beads cool down and you have to stick them back in the oven for five mins. . ) Those bead peircing pins should give me a good guide hole, though I keep thinking 'I'm sure I've got a bit of stiff wire that would do the same job somewhere. .'

Gilladian

• My flickr page
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 10:42:17 PM »
The thing about the bead pins is that they are not just "wire". They're VERY stiff, so they don't bend or flex much as you pierce the bead, and they're VERY sharp. Needle sharp. More than needle sharp. Don't drop a bunch on the floor and then walk across it sharp. How do I know this? Don't ask. But despite this experience, I love my bead piercing pins, and when I temporarily misplaced them, I had to buy another tube. I can't get along without them...

Sylvia

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 12:32:47 AM »
Oh absolutely, second the motion.  Can't do without my bead pins.  In terms of bang for bucks, there's just no question.
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

JonB

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »
OK. Ordered. Thanks for the recommendations.