EJR Beads

Author Topic: mouse knight clay over wood question  (Read 2397 times)

shotgunsuzie

mouse knight clay over wood question
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:00:27 PM »
I carved out of small pine wood blocks with a craftsman sanding tool, i plan on adding different color clay for the fur and texturing it with my tools. To get the clay to adhere to the wood, after thats done i plan on cooking at 275 degrees for 15 minutes. I'm alittle worried that the pine will warp split or break *crosses fingers* but i was thinking that the clay over it would protect the wood from any such accidents. I have contact cement, elmer's glue, elmer's wood glue, sculpey bake and bond, and liquid polyclay. Will any of these work well for my project? After I've cooked on the clay, i plan to glue metal flashing cut out in scales for scale mail armor, it will be a full suit of armor for my mouse knight along with sword and shield. Here's my piece in the wood stage.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:51:58 AM by shotgunsuzie »

Sylvia

Re: mouse knight clay over wood question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:25:08 AM »
Oh gosh.  I would DEFINITELY bake the wood for at least half an hour at your clay temp. first.  If it's going to crack, you want to know now rather than after a whole bunch more work.

And yes, if Elmer's is PVA, that should work, as will Bake and Bond, and liquid polyclay.  I've no idea what contact cement is.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

shotgunsuzie

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 03:50:00 AM »
thanks for the reply, i came up with another idea. Gluing aluminum foil to the wood parts I'm putting clay on, perhaps the clay will hold onto the aluminum foil like the previous pieces I've made. I've used foil for smaller pieces to form a body and added polymer clay over that, the clay adhered to the piece very well. An idea i had for making my wood piece not break while in the oven was cooking the piece at lower temperatures and shorter period of time in the oven to let it cool, then repeat the process until the clay has dried.

shotgunsuzie

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 03:27:55 AM »
Here's an update, i cooked this piece in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 min to get any moisture out of it as much as possible. Then i took a leap on which glue to use and used the one i trusted the most to work with clay that was sculpey bake and bond, i smeared it on the piece where the clay was going to go and it worked wonderfully the clay has stuck to the wood better than i expected, there is no seperation between wood and clay that i can see, so for anyone contemplating using wood with there pieces of clay i hope this helps. The eyes i'm especially happy about how they turned out, i painted in the hollow i drilled for the eyes and set a dragon tear into the eye space and made clay eyelids around the glass eye to hold it in place. Here's my piece now.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »
Superb! And so cool to see your processes in action. Thanks for sharing - what a unique piece.

Will he be totally covered in clay or just the head and shoulders? The wooden base is art in itself

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

shotgunsuzie

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:08:24 AM »
thank you so much for the compliment! The parts not in clay of the mouse knight, i plan on covering in armor. Made from tin plated steel called Flashing, used by construction workers to put around chimney's and gutters around a house i think, one of my handy men friends pointed it out to me, and i thought i could use it to make some armor out of it since it would be easy to cut with tin snip scissors. I'm imagining armor all over it and armor going over the mouse tail when i get it made, maybe like the plates of a dragon?!? I'm not sure yet i haven't gotten there yet, i used a craftsmen wood carving tool which is alot like a dremel, i still have to make the arms and hands, i carved out a sword that i'll put metal flashing over as well, also the mouse knight will be holding a large shield perhaps in the style of a roman soldier, the large square shields they used. or perhaps a traditional shield with a crest from renaissance times that a knight would use back then. I'll post again when i've made some more progress.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:14:14 AM by shotgunsuzie »