EJR Beads

Author Topic: Which pastels to use?  (Read 1636 times)

TaliB

Which pastels to use?
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:30:43 PM »
Hi, completely new to polyclay, but I've seen that you can use pastels (in various ways) to add colour to creations.  The only thing is that I can't work out which pastels to use?  I've read about chalk pastels, but I can't seem to find such a thing (in the UK) and only seem to come across "soft" pastels.  When I've had a look at what these are, they appear to be made of chalk, but also have a "binder".  I'm concerned about using these, as I've read that polyclay can react with things such as solvents, and wondered about this with regards to the binders in soft pastels? 

monkey ann

• Illuminati
Re: Which pastels to use?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:16:31 PM »
Any set of pastels should work fine, they usually come in square shaped hard sticks and are available from art shops and other hobby retailers.
I bought a set of pastels from one of those cheap supermarkets recently, sorry no longer on sale there.  Just that they must be the most basic you can get and these work fine.

Ann from Croydon, Surrey

TaliB

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:45:29 PM »
That's great thanks very muchly  :D

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
Yes, cheap ones fine  8)
To add colour use neat on raw clay (have to add to something liquid to use on baked...no point)
Either scrape some powder off with a blade or if soft enough rub finger along the stick to transfer colour.