EJR Beads

Author Topic: Making beads with kids age 10-14  (Read 3226 times)

bycreativehands

• Flickr page
Making beads with kids age 10-14
« on: May 07, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »

It's a long time since I've been on this forum so hello again to you all.

I moved to Sweden just over a year ago from the UK and my clay play time has all but gone  :(

However, I have been asked by my daughters teacher to help with a jewellery making session during the last week of term (the kids get 2 days 'students choice' activities). They would like to make some polymer clay beads and then assemble them to make bracelets/necklaces/earrings. The kids will be age 10-14 years and there will be up to 20 in the group.

My first question is which clay to use. Here in Sweden it seems my choice locally is Cernit, Fimo kids or Fimo professional. I could order any clay from the UK but then the postage is really expensive due to the weight. School are obviously on a budget so that wouldn't be ideal.
I know nothing about Fimo kids but from my reading I think it could be too soft for making nice beads by this age group. On the other hand, Cernit and Fimo professional probably need to much conditioning? I was thinking that ideally I would probably use Premo.

My next question is what beads i could make with them? I thought I would just start with a simple plain bead in order to get the kids handling the clay, feeling the texture and rolling some round and cylindrical beads. Then maybe introduce some marbling techniques. I did also wonder about trying a simple mokume gane technique for those who get on well and want to try something else.

I could also have a problem with tools etc. I usually use a plain white tile on my desk to work on but having one of these for each child will be difficult. Any other ideas? I'm also not sure what blades I will be allowed to take in (although health and safety is far less of an issue here!). And mokume gane would ideally require a roller.

So what started as a no-brainer 'yes, of course I would like to help' has turned out to be somewhat more complicated than I anticipated!

All thoughts and ideas will be gratefully received,
Thanks!
Helen

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
Re: Making beads with kids age 10-14
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:43:03 AM »
I did a workshop last year with kids aging from 4-10! Quite an interesting experience! I used fimo soft or fimo professional - some of them had hot little hands and where happy to work the clay, I honestly think even cernit wouldn't be a problem for that age group. I was not allowed blades at all in the class which was the biggest challenge. I got a bunch of white tiles so everyone had a tile each, but to be honest, they mostly worked on the table which wasn't a problem as we weren't using any blades. Very simple beads. I'll post some picys later when I get a chance.

Shelley

Sylvia

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 12:32:23 AM »
I thought of doing this a while back - I aimed at the craft birthday party market, say six pupils a time.  Not very hard, I confess, but I do plan to go back to the idea.  I test drove a party with two young friends of mine.  I'll list my ideas - if you use any, just tell me how successful or not they are!

Supplies - a white tile each, 15*15cm.
                 a tissue blade each
                  a needle tool each
                  a small foil food container with polyester batting, each
                  pre-conditioned clay - an assortment of colours.  For each colour, one solid colour, one with added white 50:50, one mostly white.  Students to pick three colours, one from each shade set.  Conditioning in class takes up WAY too much time.
                  an oven or three.

I made a batch of beads using only three colours, a blade and a needle tool, and baked them to serve as examples.  A major inspiration was a free tutorial from Ponsawan Sila - sorry I can't post a direct link but go to Saturday 30 June 2007 on http://polymerclaybeads.blogspot.co.uk/

That kept my two guinea pigs happy for three hours - they were 12 and 15.

Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

bycreativehands

• Flickr page
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 08:22:37 AM »

Thank you Sylvia. That blog post doesn't work. Do you have any photos of what you made or can you give me a quick outline of what you did?

Gilladian

• My flickr page
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 06:21:15 PM »
I work with preteens and teens in my Anime Club at the Library. For worksurfaces, we use "patty paper" masking taped to the table top. I don't use blades with them, so I got a bunch of metal "flashing" (used by roofers and sold in home improvement stores) that my wonderful husband cut into strips, and I put duct tape on one edge. Works as a basic cutter/scraper. I also give them small knitting needles - I can buy packs of six or eight fine needles for cheap, and they make a good piercing/drawing tool.

Generally, we don't make beads, as the kids don't care about them. We do small sculpts, usually reflecting the anime-interest of these kids - but if they say they want beads, great!. Do you have anything you could use to make texture on the beads? Salt, sandpaper, crumpled foil, etc? That's always popular. Maybe the art teacher has texture-plates you could borrow? Tube beads are also very easy to make, as long as you don't worry about them having nice smooth ends...

My teens also LOVE using chalks to decorate the surface of their creations. We don't use glitter or mica powders, but I'll give them trays of inexpensive craft chalks and show them how to apply by rubbing their fingertip on the chalk, then brushing it over the clay.

Sylvia

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 12:46:20 AM »
Sorry for the delay - it took my a while to find the damn beads!

I'm sorry the link doesn't work for you - it's definitely ok my end.  You could google 'Ponsawan Sila blog', find her tutorials and go to 2007.  I think it's worth it.
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

bycreativehands

• Flickr page
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:23:58 AM »

Some helpful ideas, thank you.

Sylvia, I can get to the blog but the post you suggest I look at has the title and then nothing else  :-\

MyrtleWeed

• FrisbyCreek Arts
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 08:16:08 PM »
Hi, you've probably done your clay day by now, but thought I'd chip in with an idea for cheap work surfaces for lots of little people. I often use cardboard covered with baking parchment held in place with masking tape on the back - it works a treat and no washing up!