EJR Beads

Author Topic: sealing paints  (Read 1520 times)

pmorna742

sealing paints
« on: May 04, 2015, 03:16:19 PM »
1. I've been experimenting with chalk and oil pastels and oil and acrylic paints. Is there any one product I could use to seal all of those mediums when they're being applied on top of polymer clay? 

2. I put 2 beads covered in oil paint in the oven for 15 minutes or so, to see if the oil paint would dry out. It seems to have worked. One of the beads was already cured, the other wasn't.  I'm hesitant to assume this is a suitable, quick way to speed up the drying process of oil paint though. Does anyone have experience of this, or can confidently recommend whether or not to do it? 

Many thanks,

Morna

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: sealing paints
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »
Certainly both oil and acrylic paint can benefit from a curing, though l rarely bother with acrylic paint which seems pretty well stuck for jewellery.  Probably depends on what sort of thing you're making.  I have only used oil paint once at a workshop and we cured that.

I haven't used oil pastels but l have used chalk pastels quite a bit and if l have burnished the chalk well into the clay surface it seems pretty stable.  I don't always seal it, but if l do use anything it seems as if it lifts the colour slightly, though that might just be loose pwder that wasn't burnished well enough into the clay.  I generally don't like shiny varnish for most things so it's always a nuisance sealing.  I have used Klear/Future floor stuff but even that can sometimes look a bit shinier than l'd like, though thinking about it l see no reason why it can't be slightly diluted with water which might tame it down a bit.
Can't recommend any specific brand, l'm afraid.  Emma sells polyclay-friendly varnishes.

Hope that helps a bit  :)

pmorna742

Re: sealing paints
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 08:32:35 PM »
Hi Carrie,

Thanks so much for giving me all that advice.  It does indeed help!

Morna