EJR Beads

Author Topic: say hi to Tim & Flit  (Read 2361 times)

shotgunsuzie

say hi to Tim & Flit
« on: April 22, 2015, 04:38:41 AM »
Flit the bird i modeled from a picture of a bird i absolutely adored when i saw it, it's called a long tailed tit and it's native to Europe and Asia from what i read. Here is a side view.
and from the back.

This took me two days to complete from the time i woke up till the time i went to bed, the theme i had in mind when i created this was that of a knight on his trusty steed, fighting a dragon. I still haven't made the "dragon" yet, i was looking at pictures from nature, frogs, snakes, lizards. The closest I've come to picking Tim & Flit's enemy is either a Cobra or a Thorny Lizard, I'm leaning towards the Thorny Lizard because he looks the closest to what a dragon would look like but actually exists in nature.
I'm trying to add more real materials into my minatures that's the hard part for me making the jump from clay to cloth, etc. Tim is holding a sword made cut from a tiny wire painted silver. he has a tunic on with yellow thread, and a cloth cape, the saddle-bags are also cloth with a cut piece of toothpick for the pin to hold the flaps in place. When i made this pair, i gave alot of thought into the mechanics of Tim's flight saddle, I looked up horses saddles, there is an actual wire bit on either side of Flit's beak with a small piece of cut wire for Flit to bite down on, also guide ropes for Tim are attached to the harness, and holding the flight saddle in place is a thick piece of silver threaded cord that wraps around the underside of Flit holding the saddle in place. I wanted to describe my process, to help others this has been a learning experience for me a very positive one. I hope you all like Tim & Flit.

MilleD

Re: say hi to Tim & Flit
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:14:30 AM »
They are great, love the detail.

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »
Fantastic!!  I love how you've included different materials to make up some of the elements.  And like Claire, I love the detail too!!

Mel  :)

shotgunsuzie

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 04:12:03 PM »
Thanks! It's a exciting new world of clay miniatures, adding new materials and learning new techniques i love it. The fun part for me is working on the detail of the miniature, the hard part was matching the colors to the picture of the bird since i'm colorblind. For me its always interesting to see where a sculpt will end up looking, I've learned to try and make colors pop, and not go for something that would clash color wise. Onto my next project Tally-Ho!

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »
Wow! You'd never know you were colour blind from your scultpure.  My dad's colour blind and I remember, when I was a child, my Mum banned him from shopping for new clothes by himself after he came home with a bright pink shirt and lime green trousers.  It was pretty funny!  :o

Mel  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 09:29:49 PM »
Those two are just amazing, especially seeing them sitting on your hand like that, the scale you are working at is.... well smaller than I'd like to try.  What do you use as modelling tools?

I use darning needles, knitters needles and even smaller - sewing needles.  But just for the really small details.
FranOnTheEdge

shotgunsuzie

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 09:54:49 PM »
Thanks Fran! I like to use dental tools handed down to me from my grand-uncle Mel he made the most beautiful wildlife statues from different colored sawdust, elmer's glue, and a dremel drill. I'm thinking about going even smaller, i once saw a pair of glasses that had different magnifying lenses you could swing into place. Here's a picture of some of the tools i use.

on the left i recently bought from etsy, in the middle is an assortment of dental tools (thank you mel!) and on the right i got those at sally's a makeup store.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 04:01:58 PM »
Oh I have tools like those, not all of them I don't think.  Most of mine are left over from pottery. I do have a small set of dental tools though, but not as many as you - like I really fancy that one of yours with the curve.

Here are mine:

I also have the tiny set of ball tools, got mine from, I think it was the new Poundland that just opened up in the Asda retail park, I also got a couple of little 'Nail Art' sets there... they had teany tiny bottles with seed beads in them...

I don't use stuff like that for my nails 'cos I  found my nails splitting and going a bit nasty under false nails when I worked with big bunches of keys (when I worked at a prison once).
I was trying to protect my nails from the splitting damage that constantly working with keys seemed to be causing and using false nails for so long seems to have weakened them permanently... so... shrug.

But I couldn't resist those little sets for all the bits in them.  And I could always use the false nails as beetle Elytra if I wanted to:
FranOnTheEdge