EJR Beads

Author Topic: LC Slicer  (Read 4666 times)

monkey ann

• Illuminati
LC Slicer
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:09:38 AM »
I had a go at using the LC slicer on Sunday at our LPCG meeting.  Really want one, not sure I can justify the cost against the use I will get from it.  I will have a chat to myself and work on that one.

It was easy to use, and after just a few slices I was getting nice even thin slices, not like the cheese wedge shape some of my hand cut slices look like.
It had a sliding plate to put the cane on and a locking nut to hold the blade secure, while fingers are getting the cane in place.
It comes in two pieces the base and the upright bit.  These are held together by 4 bolts and wing nuts.  Easy and quick to assemble, weighs probably less than a pasta machine, making it fairly portable.
An optional extra that this one didn't have is a upright plate to attach to the base plate, for slicing Mokume Gane sheets and canes with a larger diameter. 
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: LC Slicer
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
Interesting!

We are hoping to stock some of the Lucy Clay tools at EJR Beads soon - so if anyone is interested let me know and I will try to get stocks of these. Likewise we'll hopfully be getting some of the extruders and discs

I don't have details yet or prices - its a tough call working out if its viable or not for us to import them. Once I've crunched the numbers, I'll have a better idea - but do give me feedback peeps if you want, by PM preferably, as it might help the decision making process  :P

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 01:58:39 PM »
Ever since using Carol Simmons' amazing slicer l've been wondering if anyone will bring out a cheaper, simpler one.  Not that the Lucyclay one's cheap, of course! 
It was so wonderful for mokume gane and would be great for canes .....but as with so many  desirable tools, can one justify getting it  ???  Probably no..... ::)

I do have two of her sets of extruder dies.   

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
I think that is just in - justify-ability!

If someone is doing a lot of production work, selling a lot of their makes and so on, then I can see that a more costly tool that cuts down on the workload could be a really wise investment. For someone only doing that proceedure every now and then, it would be more of an indulgence.

Same with many of the tools we use though I guess - you always weigh up the pros and cons.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 06:45:56 PM »
Like having more chocolate really....... ;D

Karolina.S

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:27 PM »
One can NEVER EVER have to much chocolate!!!

So i think that what we learn from this is that you really have to buy it!
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

MilleD

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 04:48:14 PM »
Does anyone know what decision was made on whether EJR Beads might stock these in the future?

Probably one for Emma, but I know she has been tied up recently.