EJR Beads

Author Topic: Dry gilder's wax  (Read 5892 times)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Dry gilder's wax
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 10:10:25 PM »
That was a bit obscure, wasn't it  ;D

The polyclaying takes place in a workshop/studio thingy outdoors  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 10:23:42 AM »
inka gold has kaolin clay in it I suspect - well something organic anyway. That is why it can grow mould if the conditions are right!

YOu can prevent that by spraying the surface with a spritz of diluted jeyes fluid or similar. Although I've never really found it to be a big issue.

As for what to dilute it with - water. Inka gold is water based and you can use it thick as you like or diluted down to a thin watercolour like wash or anything inbetween. It really does behave beautifully in that regard

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 05:55:50 PM »
The mould doesn't really bother me that much  ::)  All of mine bar two have gone hard though , but easy enough to rehydrate as you say.

Haven't got round to "doing" the Gilders Wax yet !

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 09:49:11 AM »
Carrie, Ah, an outside studio, that explains everything!

Emma, I have no Inka Gold at all, I'd like some, even if it was just one to try... but I'm reluctant to try anything new to me in case I love it so much I find I want lots more colours, and... well you know how it is, there are more Gilder's Waxes that I'd like, and they aren't cheap either.
At least mould isn't a problem with Gilders' Wax.

Emma, just had a thought, you don't sell Liquid Water Colours, do you?  I'm looking for Pearlescent and some colours.  I've been looking at the Dick Blick ones, but US shipping is putting me off.
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 01:43:38 PM »
You could have a look on The Blue Bottle Tree, Ginger's site, because she's done a lot of tests of surface treatments.  She's found, for example, that some of the popular ones don't work as well as other, less popular ones.
Don't order from the US - most of the paints etc are available here, if not from Emma, then from art and craft suppliers.

Some pearlescent water-based paints don't cover well, some will scratch or even peel off, some work on raw but not baked clay, others will crackle nicely which can be useful...so worth researching before splashing out.

I am a fan of InkaGold which has great coverage on raw and baked clay and crackles really well.  It is very brightly metallic rather than pearlescent though, and anything but subtle!  It is irritating that it dries out but no bother to moisten a bit or all of it.
I'm less keen on Gilder's wax though l have several, inevitably ::) 

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 12:37:57 AM »
Thanks Carrie,
I wasn't thinking to use the Liquid Watercolours with Polyclay, I saw a tut on how to make DIY Glimmer Spray, using liquid watercolours, and LAColors Loose Eyeshadows, although I haven't had any luck finding those yet either.
Oh well... it was just a wish.
FranOnTheEdge

BBCrafts

• BeckieBooCrafts
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 10:59:21 AM »
Hey fran, a little bit of tube watercolor dissolved works just as fine as liquids(I have done it) and just add a pinch of mica. You have to shake it up when you wanna use it though
Call Me Becka *Smiley Face*
https://beckieboocrafts.wordpress.com/

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 12:50:12 PM »
Yes Becka,
It's possible, but the liquid watercolors are a concentrated form, and will last a long time, I don't want to use up all the colour in a tube and not be able to go out watercolour painting anymore with my watercolour set. And of course you don't need to shake liquid watercolors.
It's even possible with watercolour cakes, grinding it up and adding water... but I'd rather have the concentrated liquid form, if at all possible.

I've tried the recipe with using 'Vivid' Dye Ink reinkers, and I just can't get the 'aqua' colour strong enough, and those re-inkers only come in teasy little bottles that hold just 14cc.  None of the colours are really stong enough, although the 'Turquoise' is rather pretty.

I'm rather glad that Gilder's Wax isn't suitable for this technique, or I'd probably have wasted a load of my beloved stash of waxes by now.
Phew!
FranOnTheEdge

MilleD

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 08:30:04 AM »
I'm another fan of the Inka Gold.  I have silver gold and copper (I think) and I love them all, but as Carrie says, they aren't the shy and retiring types  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
I like the look of Inka Gold, but I seem to go off and buy other things instead.  I guess having a range of Gilders' Waxes has me satisfied - for now anyway.

I do like the look of the greeny gold Inka Gold... hmmm...
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 07:47:03 AM »
Fran - remember the Inka Gold paints can be mixed, so if you buy just one or two colours, you can mix them to create more.

I suspect you could mix other paints into them to tint them also, but that would be something you'd need to experiment with for compatibility etc

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 05:37:34 PM »
Yeah... trouble is that's not how I'm inclined to do things.  I buy all the metallics in a range, (Gold, Silver, Copper, Pearl etc) then blues, greens and purples, then I start being a bit more sensible, only by that time I've bought so many, that my guilt chip trips in. (as Kryton would say)

It happened with the Distress range, I got a load of Distress Ink pads, and 1 stain (purple), 1 crackle paint (copper) then I stopped.  I think about the other Distress ink pad colours that I'd like but I don't use those so much anymore, I think of the paints, the stains and the re-inkers... but I just can't feel that it's warranted to buy any more - especially with them each so very expensive. Buy 2 and you've already spent more than ten quid.

The guilt spoils the fun. 

I'm waiting on the arrival of those concentrated watercolours (different slightly cheaper brand, smaller bottles too, easier to get in the UK (free delivery helped)) hopefully I can then do some less guilty playing, and I have a Birthday coming up, my Uncle's 90th, I want to do something good for him, especially as we are going to a big family party for that.

I wonder if you can stain clay with these watercolours?  Probably not, as oil and water won't mix.  I wonder, what if you poured a little onto a ceramic tile and let the water evaporate, what then?

Hmmmm....
FranOnTheEdge