EJR Beads

Author Topic: Magazine Submissions  (Read 2385 times)

Vivi

Magazine Submissions
« on: April 16, 2015, 01:11:24 AM »
Hello people!

I've been looking into submitting projects to magazines and wondered if anyone had any tips or wisdom to share about it? Has anyone done it?

Discuss. :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Magazine Submissions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 09:40:47 AM »
I written stuff for magazines on and off over the years.

The thing to remember firstly is they don't pay well  - so writing for magazines is always a vocational choice rather than an economic one!

If you have something really special technique-wise, that you've worked hard on or are very emotionally invested in,  revealing it in a magazine might give you kudos but wouldn't necessarily be as lucrative as self-publishing ultimately. Once you publish in a magazine, you are effectively giving that info away to the world to use as it will. Or at least you should be. I do feel that if you put something in a magazine, people should be free to enjoy it. Otherwise what is the point?

Now... if the Kudos is the thing you are wanting rather than income, writing for magazines can be really rewarding, fun and exciting. You get to see your projects in print and have the buzz of other people trying them out and enjoying them. You build your name as a project designer too and raise your profile.

Different magazines have different requirements - contact them for submission guidelines. Don't write a project and then try to sell it - you'll likely not write it in the exact format the magazine needs. Instead, pick your magazine - ask for their guidelines and submit a proposal where you just outline the project you want to write for them. They will then tell you if they want it and when and how to proceed.

Pretty much all magazines will want you to provide good quality, print-ready step-by-step images for your projects. Some magazines might still handle the photography themselves - but not many I suspect. This means you will need to know how to supply images of 300dpi or above that are well composed, in focus, well lit etc. Most magazines prefer the images in CMYK colour format - although they will convert for you if you are unable to supply that way in my experience.

I've found that proof-reading and editting aren't always done particularly well by magazines. Little mistakes can slip by - so make sure your final submission is perfect and consider it your job to check for errors, not the magazine's. They will never be as knowledgable or passionate about your project as you are, so you really are best qualified. Get a family member or friend to read it through - they will see errors you don't. Likewise if they are confused by a step, it could be an indication you weren't clear enough or missed something important out.

Think ahead - most magazines will be working months in advance. If you have a seasonal project, you need to submit your proposal well in advance. You could have the most amazing Valentine's Day project in the world, for example, but if you approach the magazine in December or January, it will be too late for them to consider it usually.

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Karolina.S

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 09:57:39 AM »
I also have written a few articles and have several on the way to be printed.

I usually submit a photo and ask if they are interested. Only once have i gotten no for an anwer but the issue where the article would fit was full already and another mag printed it instead.

By now they know me and the process usually is fast and smooth.
As i´m Swedish i have to relly on there proof reading a bit more :) But i check spellings as good as i can.

Emma has good advice.  Good photos and clear steps are vital.
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Cara Jane

• Cara Jane's Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 12:03:54 AM »
Hi

I find it fun writing tutorials and articles for magazines and view it as a publicity exercise as Emma is right it's really not very lucrative.

If you happen to use Polyform products (Sculpey, Premo...) you can earn some extra money from them for projects printed which use and mention their products specifically.
http://www.sculpey.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014_International_Designer_Endorsement_Program.pdf

Once you have a relationship with the magazine normally they will request projects to fit a certain theme and deadline.

Have fun and Good luck!

Cara
Cara Jane Hayman - UK Polymer Clay Artist and Tutor
www.carajane.co.uk/  www.facebook.com/CaraJanePolymerClay