EJR Beads

Author Topic: Bit of a Problem - Sticky Bake N Bend  (Read 6936 times)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
Bit of a Problem - Sticky Bake N Bend
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »
Hi all,
I've made myself a nice texture using some hollow metal rods in different sizes, ended up with some nice possible dragon skin, or crocodile, since it's based on a croc at the zoo. Nice texture, made it from a mix of SculpeyIII and Premo as SculpeyIII alone was too sticky to work with, as it always is.

Now I want to take an impression of this so as to have the reverse to make this texture again on other things...

So wanting a bit of flexibility and to try out my Bake n Bend, I mixed some blue and red B&B together and then laid it over the texture and rolled it down to push it into the crevices...

Unfortunately when I came to try separating the baked Premo/SculpeyIII texture from the raw B&B - I couldn't do it!

Eventually I managed to get the majority of the B&B off, but heck there's loads of it still sitting deep within the crevices.  I've tried using an old toothbrush and washing up liquid to try and get the rest out, I've tried leaving it in the fridge for a few hours, but it doesn't seem to want to budge, the toothbrush leaves impressions in the B&B but I can't get it all out.

I was thinking to try with some 2 part mould like EasyMold or Amazing Mold Putty, but I can't do that while there's still B&B in the texture....

HELP!?

How do I get this beastly stuff out?
FranOnTheEdge

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
Re: Bit of a Problem - Sticky Bake N Bend
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:13:31 AM »
Only a suggestion - having you tried baby lotion - lots of it? I use it all the time on my hands for polymer clay and for general cleaning up, just baby wipes with tons of baby lotion. But just baby lotion worked into the mould and rubbed with toothbrush then washed out might be worth a try. Just a thought.

Shelley

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »
What a nuisance.

I guess you didn't use a mould release...water or cornflour.  You wouldn't believe the number of times l forget  :P

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 03:45:49 PM »
@ Shelley
Baby lotion..., I haven't got that, could Baby Oil work?  I've got some of that.

@ Carrie :P Yes, okay you are dead right. sigh...

I've never used Bake N Bend before so I didn't realise how soft and sticky it was.

I have used water as a mould release but I've used that same mould with the same make of clay and forgotten to use water on that occassion, and the clay comes out of the mould the same way both times, so I've not really felt the need for it... until now of course.
FranOnTheEdge

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:00:05 PM »
not tried baby oil, but it could be worth a go. Or possibly a mould release like son of a gun if you have any. Anything that might soften the clay to help get it out and hope it doesn't ruin your mould!

Good luck.
Shelley

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:11:29 PM »
What a shame, Fran.  I've never used bake & bond either, but I hope shelley's suggestion works for you.

Mel  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 08:24:19 PM »
@Shelley,
No we don't have stuff like 'son of a gun' here, or if we do, I've never seen it.  Never even heard of it.  Sounds American.
The B&B clay is pretty soft already, that's the problem.

I'll try with baby oil.

@ Mel,
Thanks.
FranOnTheEdge

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 08:22:32 AM »
Where are you Fran? I actually got mine while away in Cyprus, but then saw it in the UK somewhere - think it was a car place like Halfords. But if you haven't got any it's probably not worth getting some just to try it. Try the oil and see if that helps.

Shelley

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:36:07 AM by shelleym »

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:37:12 AM »
Where are you Fran? I actually got mine while away in Cyprus, but then saw it in the UK somewhere - think it was in that well known car place. But if you haven't got any it's probably not worth getting some just to try it. Try the oil and see if that helps.

Shelley

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 09:42:27 AM »
If you laid bake and bend over polymer clay and left them for any time, chances are a chemical reaction has occured and the two have melded together. The plasticizers in the raw bake and bend working on the baked polymer clay to resoften it.

I think it is unlikely you'll cleanly seperate the two at this point because some of the mushy stuff you see will likely be the baked polymer clay that has turned mushy due to the contact with the raw clay.

It might be one of those things you have to chalk up to experience. In future if you are using polymer clay moulds or texture sheets with raw clay, keep the contact time to a minimum, use a mould release to act as a barrier and after using wash the mould really well to prolong its life and protect it from the plasticizers in the clay

Emma

EDIT: - Sorry - totally mis-read your post, it is metal you laid the clay onto isnt it, not baked polymer clay. Scrap everything I just wrote above. I will leave the post here though anyway as it might be useful to someone one day searching out that type of problem.

In regards to your issue - are you able to bake the metal to cure the clay? Maybe it will remove easier that way?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:44:49 AM by ejralph »
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:06:24 AM »
You read it right first time, Emma - Fran used metal to texture a mix of Sculpey and Premo.

I hadn't thought about raw clay reacting with baked stuff.  I don't tend to leave anything in a mould - in fact, using water, it just wants to drop out anyway.  Worth remembering though.

Rather than waste your mould, Fran, maybe you could put a new layer over it and texture that.  It would end up nice and thick and strong if nothing else!

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 11:35:21 AM »
I just put the PremoSculpey texture sheet with the B&B on it, into the fridge for an hour or so, it was nice and cold when it came out but the B&B was just as sticky and still stayed in the crevices of the PremSculp Texture sheet.

There doesn't seem to have been any reaction between the raw B&B and the baked PremSculp, which is still hard.

I'm going to try with a fine needle to get the B&B out of the fine crevices, then baby oil as a sort of last wash.

@Shelley,
I'm in Essex in the UK.  Don't go to Halfords unless it's to be dragged around while Ian window shops, he does this in Halfords, B&Q and Maplins, like me in Hobbycrafts! Lol!

I'll take a look when I'm next near Halfords... come to think of it, there used to be a Halfords near MaccyD's and the drive-in Boots, but that's Argos now... I wonder where Halford's went?
Got it, it's on Cowdray Avenue next to Pets At Home, which is somewhere I do go to occassionally.

Yes, Emma, I used tiny metal tubes to texture the sheet of Premo/Sculp Clay then put the B&B over the baked Texture sheet, these:

Texture Sheet:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:37:12 AM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
Is there much Bake and Bend left?  Maybe just leave it and bake it as added texture.......? 
Texture what's left with a toothbrush then re-bake?   
Use the metal rods to re-texture where the B and B is stuck, then re-bake?

Talking of Halfords, that's where l got ArmorAll which they use a lot as a release in the US - works quite well but l still prefer water or cornflour.  Each has its place, though.

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 06:24:57 PM »
I was looking for armorall, didn't think  you could get it over here. But I did see sonofagun!! I think the two are very similar.

Shelley

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 09:28:44 PM »
There's enough in the crevices, Carrie.  Enough to blur the crispness of the original texture.  I used such tiny tools to make it I guess I need a tiny tool to get the remnants out.
I'm gonna sit and watch CrimeTV and pick at it for a while...

It works but it's really laborious.
FranOnTheEdge